Official Review: The Plot to Cool the Planet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Official Review: The Plot to Cool the Planet

Post by Nisha Ward »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Plot to Cool the Planet" by Samuel Bleicher.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Climate change is a controversial issue, particularly right now. It’s clear that our planet’s weather is changing, affecting the greater climate as it goes, but there’s a lot of debate as to what to do to stop that. It’s also the subject of a lot of sub-genres of science fiction, resulting in its own category: climate fiction.

Samuel Bleicher’s The Plot to Cool the Planet falls under that umbrella, earning itself 3 out of 4 stars for its detailed plot that centralises the human aspect of this issue.

The novel, ostensibly a murder mystery that belies a larger plot to change the course of global warming, focuses on the actions of a group of countries to protect the earth from rising temperatures and abnormal weather patterns. With the murder of Dr. Ilsa Hartquist, the diplomats of four countries find themselves immersed in subterfuge and clandestine dealings, all in an effort to save the world through geoengineering.

Unfortunately, I can’t be more precise in my summary. This is because much of the book is wrapped up in the precise methods used to combat the current climate crisis. As such, the book is extremely detailed, and you can tell that the author did his research with how exacting his approach to climate control is. I liked this because it made the entire book seem feasible, particularly the bits that took place in the U.N.

I also really liked the human element of the book. While a lot of it was taken up by both scientific and diplomatic procedures and negotiations, it still felt like I was reading about real people. The representative from Singapore, Wang Shu, for example, felt like a real woman with her own desires and needs that had to be met. Her counterparts from Mauritius and Trinidad and Tobago, Doyal and Panday, were also of interest to me. Their doubts and misgivings about the entire project lent it a sense of urgency that was otherwise missing from the book.

Speaking of which, that was one of two things I didn’t like. The pacing of the book was quite inconsistent. As I mentioned before, Bleicher included a lot of detail about the scientific and diplomatic procedures involved in the book’s plot, but it had an adverse effect on the pacing. These details tended to slow the book in places where the action was being set up, while the room it left in other areas of the narrative caused it to move too quickly. As such, I was left feeling like I was constantly too far ahead while I read.

In addition to this, I didn’t particularly care for the way the murder mystery was handled. It was too quick and too short of a mystery, rendered subservient to the larger storyline about climate change. While Hartquist’s murder had a large impact on the novel, its solution left little to none on the greater events surrounding it. Instead, it felt like an afterthought, something written to pass the time rather than anything that had any real effect on the story.

It’s for this reason that I can’t give the book a full rating. While I really liked the book and think that science fiction and political thriller lovers will like it as well, these two flaws stood out enough to knock it down by one star. Still, I think it is worth the read, as it gives us all something to think about.

Happy reading, everyone!

The Plot to Cool the Planet
View: on Bookshelves
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Sethu Anbu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sethu-anbu.html
Latest Review: Trade Crash by Bruce Aitken and Ngosong Fonkem

Post by Sethu Anbu »

I enjoyed reading the review. The plot seems interesting. 
Ihsan Chowhan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ihsan Chowhan »

It's look good and Quite interesting thatswhy I want to read this book.I will suggest others to read this book
Goral
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Time
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goral.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Goral »

It's very important to spread awareness about global warming and a novel in sci-fi is a great way to do so! Thanks for the review! I'll definitely read this book!
You can't buy happiness but you can buy books, and that's kind of the same thing
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite its flaws, this seems like an interesting novel about a problem we're experiencing that offers some food for thought about it. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Thank you for your review. The book seems to possess traits that hold a great affinity with me bearing the facts of climate change, murder mystery, and practical applications. I cannot wait to give it a try. :D
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Sensitization on global warming is key. Thanks for your review
Tshepo Moroke
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tshepo Moroke »

It's was so good to get this information about cooling the planet 🌏
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

I love it when books storyline are constructed perfectly, and contains every single element of thrill. A book like this will surely wow any reader. Thanks for a honest review.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Thanks for the review. The plot is interesting and captivating. I look forward to reading it.
Dayna Frank
Favorite Book: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayna-frank.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Dayna Frank »

I look forward to reading this book! Great review!
Stephen Pokoo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-pokoo.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Stephen Pokoo »

With great eloquence, you've illuminated the book's strengths and subtleties.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”