Official Review: Jeremy and the Witches Medallion

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Official Review: Jeremy and the Witches Medallion

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jeremy and the Witches Medallion" by Randy Gauthier.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jeremy's adventure begins after an ancient family medallion he is given on his seventeenth birthday is stolen by a magpie. What Jeremy doesn't know at the time is that the magpie is from the witch-hunting era of King James, 400 years back in time. In its haste to escape, the magpie drops a feather that can help its wielder travel through time. Jeremy uses it to go after the magpie in a bid to recover his family's medallion. In the course of his adventure, he realizes that he can talk to animals. This new ability sees him gain new companions along his journey: an owl, Mr. Sterling; a badger, Mrs. Fitzy; a fox, Stallone; and a horse, Dudley. Jeremy faces a lot of trials and gleans many lessons along the way. What is the significance of the medallion to Jeremy's family? Why did the magpie travel through time to steal it? Does Jeremy succeed in retrieving the medallion? The answers to these questions can be found in the pages of this adventure story.

Randy Gauthier set the bulk of this story in medieval England when King James reigned, and witch-hunting was a thing. I'm a historical fiction nut, so clearly, this was what I loved the most about Jeremy and the Witches' Medallion: The Witch Hunt. The author began this book with a little backstory of England's history and then transported me 400 years into the future, where I was introduced to Jeremy and the medallion-stealing magpie.

Jeremy's adventure had many fantasy and magic elements, as expected of a sci-fi/fantasy novel. A few good examples of these were the talking animals, the mysterious family medallion, and the time-traveling magpie, to mention a few. I also liked the arrangement of the chapters. The chronology of events and the way the characters' stories unfolded made sense to me.

The author also infused some humor in the story, which is always a good idea to keep any story interesting. I found myself often laughing when I got to certain portions of the story. This was especially true concerning the race between Dudley and Mr. Sterling. The human names Gauthier gave the animal characters were also interesting to me. I would have preferred that the horse and the fox switched names. To my ear, the name "Stallone" makes more sense for a horse since it's close to the word "Stallion," but that's just me.

I did find a couple of things I didn't like about this book. My first issue was with a particular component of the plot. Gauthier devoted too much time talking about the search for a sword, which eventually didn't play as big a part in the story as I expected. I felt it took away the focus a bit from Jeremy and his primary mission. The second and most significant issue I had was with the author's writing. There were several instances where it felt mechanical due to the consistent use of character names. It felt like he was trying to avoid the use of pronouns. This wasn't a good look.

For a story this long, I found only two clear-cut grammar problems, which means that it was professionally edited. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the story's mostly medieval setting and Jeremy's character and journey. However, the mechanical writing in some portions of the book and the distraction from Jeremy's mission made me deduct a star from my rating. I recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction with a sci-fi/fantasy element.

Jeremy and the Witches Medallion
View: on Bookshelves
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

Time travelling? Color me interested! Thanks for the recommendation.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Krishnajee100
Favorite Book: THE STORY OF MY LIFE
Currently Reading: art of war
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishnajee100.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Krishnajee100 »

Sci-fi with magic and a bit humor. That's what we need after a hectic day. The review was very nice.
Albaou Amira
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-albaou-amira.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Albaou Amira »

Although I generally like the idea of talking animals, the plot sounds interesting to me.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a nice novel that mixes fantasy and historical fiction. It might need some polishing to improve some elements of its style, but it's good to know that it was professionally edited. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

This sounds like a cute light read. The idea that he can talk to animals seems pretty cool! Thank you for the review!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

This seems like quite a fun book to read. Well written review too!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”