Official Review: Araya by E.Detorres

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: Araya by E.Detorres

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Araya" by E.Detorres.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Araya by E.Detorres is a book that borders on bravery, determination, and will. To a great extent, it shows how far a mother is willing to go to ensure the best outcomes for her children.

The book stars a group of brave hunters known as Gundogs, who hunt down Gluttons in a dangerous forest for their armor, as they are valuable commodities that can be sold for money. While in the forest, they suffer hunger and put their lives at risk. A soldier offers these Gundogs a life-changing opportunity to obtain a weapon in the forest that will help them win the war. Unfortunately, this weapon is located deep in the forest, where even the bravest of Gundogs hasn't dared to reach. However, Ellis and Alex lead a group of Gundogs on a quest to recover the weapon. What they encounter shocks the living daylight out of them.

Sadly, I'd have to start my review on a negative note. The book could not captivate me, as the concept and setting of the book were abstract. The plot wasn't engaging enough. There were no exciting scenes, suspenseful moments, and thrill to make me long to read more. The supposed twist in the storyline turned around to confuse me. For instance, I couldn't make out who the story centered on for a good part of the read. For fear of giving away spoilers, I wouldn't go further with this.

The language used in writing the book looked simple on the surface. However, it would require a level of maturity to understand it. Hence, it would be best suited for a mature reading audience.

I think the author had a good idea but lacked the creativity to put it in captivating writing. The book didn't seem professionally edited, as there were many errors I noticed.

I can connect to the core message of this book. I see my mum as a powerful woman who will do anything for us (her children). We (my four siblings and I) have been fatherless since 2018. However, my mum makes sure that we don't feel the adverse effects of losing our dad. She takes risks and does things that we may never understand to make sure no one shortchanges us. I can say that my mum and one of the Gundogs, Alex, share similar attributes.

I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars, as the book seemed dull to me and contained a plethora of errors. However, folks who would look beyond the dullness and focus on the adventure might enjoy it.

Araya
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

It's a shame you did not enjoy the book. The idea did sound interesting initially, but I was sad to hear the negative comments. I think it will be difficult to overlook the dullness. Thank you for taking the time to write the review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
GreatReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

What a hard time it would be that you didn't get thrilled enough in the book, and you managed to write a review on it. I've once face that experience with one book from here as well. Let me say, "congratulations!" for being able to write the review despite the odds
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel with good potential not developed well enough. Maybe a professional editor could help the author in that and with proofreading. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

A novel that boarders on hunting in the forest always reminds me of primordial times. Great review though.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Disappointing to see a great idea with simply a lack of good execution. I’d still be interested to read it if maybe some of that was addressed. Thanks for the honest review!
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

Thanks for being sincere about how you feel about the book. I hope the author takes it in good fate and improves more next time.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”