Official Review: Finn Valax the Craftsman by Michael Blythe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Official Review: Finn Valax the Craftsman by Michael Blythe

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finn Valax the Craftsman" by Michael Blythe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Finn Valax the Craftsman by Michael Blythe is a sci-fi and mystical novella that revolves around two different worlds — the Syndicate (Red Trident) and the Monarchy (Blue Horse), ruled by two powerful 'Machinegods.'

Finn is a brave and talented man who crafts magical artifacts. He dwells in Blue Horse, ruled by a 'Machinegod' that dictates their future. The inhabitants of this world aren't free to practice any vocation of their choice. Finn is banned from his craftwork and instructed to always take a pill to silence the echoes of the past that inspire his creativity to make artifacts. What will happen if Finn refuses to take his daily pills? And now, the 'Machinegod' wants to use his mystic talent for ungodly things. Would Finn yield to that?

The author did an excellent job. I was enthralled by how he fused sci-fi with mysticism. I was engrossed immediately by the letters written by the two powerful 'Machinegods' stating the dos and the don'ts. These rules are thought-provoking.

Interestingly, the author created believable plots in this book. The events that took place in Blue Horse and Red Trident were so engaging and realistic. This book is a page-turner filled with suspense. It is also fast-paced. These attributes of the book kept me glued to its pages till I finished reading it. Furthermore, I was impressed with how the author narrated and described events. He did it so clearly and vividly that readers would easily connect with the book's unique storyline and flow with it naturally.

Character development is one of the attributes that I enjoy the most when reading, and Mr. Blythe didn't disappoint. I could easily relate to the characters in the book because they were well developed. Finn is the main character and my favorite. I believe that readers will connect naturally with him because of his psychic powers, kindness, and creativity.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The author created a suspenseful story that will keep the reader entertained. What I liked most about this book was the unpredictable twist at the ending part of the story. It was so creative and fulfilling. Kudos to the author.

I also enjoyed the authors writing style. His narration pattern flowed seamlessly. There is no sexual activity or profanities in the book. Hence, I confidently recommend this book to teens and adults who enjoy sci-fi and fantasy books.

In conclusion, the editing crew did an exceptional job, as I didn't find any typos. I didn't dislike anything about this book. And because of the author's creativity in developing a unique plot and storyline, I happily award Finn Valax the Craftsman a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Finn Valax the Craftsman
View: on Bookshelves
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I am a fan of good character development and that is what attracted me the most about your review. The book sounds pretty cool and I thank you for your review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

The themes of this book are ones that I typically enjoy. I don't need a book to be fast-paced, but it certainly isn't a negative. I am adding this one to my bookshelf mostly because of your explanation that it is surprisingly believable and has a satisfying ending. Thank you for your review!
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

You sound like you really enjoyed the book. I think I will too. Thanks for the great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing story. Mixing science fiction and mysticism is tricky, and it looks like the author pulled it off. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love a good science fiction book, so your recommendation is very timely! Thank you for this engaging review!
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

Sci-and magic is an interesting combination. This sounds like an exciting story. Also, who doesn’t love a book with a good twist at the end? I look forward to reading this.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
miles gannaban
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by miles gannaban »

what i really like about the review is that its very engaging. It makes me want to read more about what to happen next. I love sci-fi books and i will definitely going to read this!thanks for the review

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”