Official Review: Lily's Quest by S.J. Savage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Official Review: Lily's Quest by S.J. Savage

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lily's Quest" by S.J. Savage.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's apparent that Lily Campbell is not a typical four-year-old. There is something quite different about her, but no one can tell what it is. When she wakes up in the middle of the night to a tall, black, shadowy figure standing over her bed, her parents—Annie and Mark Campbell—realize that there could be more to their precious little daughter's seemingly innocent "daydreams." Lily is obviously a special child. What is it, though, that makes her so special? These "beings" that she alone can see, hear, and talk to, what do they want with her? How is it that the fate of the world rests on the shoulders of a little girl? This is an adventure story per excellence.

Lily's Quest by S.J. Savage was a difficult book to put down. I enjoyed the journey of the little heroine, Lily, whose "supernatural" abilities helped her transcend age and time to take on a mission of global importance while being fiercely protected and supported by her close-knit circle of family and friends. The concepts of the paranormal and parallel dimensions can be very touchy subjects. Savage, however, integrated both concepts seamlessly with Lily's character to produce a stirring and entertaining story of friendship, trust, bravery, and the ultimate battle between good and evil.

It was heartwarming to see the bond of friendship, trust, and devotion between the Campbells, the MacKenzies, and the Frasiers. I thought it was commendable. They had each other's backs and were united in their quest to rid the world of the evil that was to come. This friendship was evident in how they rallied around the Campbells when Mark had an accident and around the Frasiers when Joey went missing.

The most striking thing about this story for me was how the author was able to preserve Lily's innocence. Despite the weight of expectation and the magnitude of the task before her, she could still be a child and enjoy her childhood. Lily's innocence was not tainted by the enormity of the task she faced, nor was it stolen by the evil entities that sought to destroy her. The possibility for her to still have a normal childhood was protected by the strength of the previously referenced support system she had: her family and friends. They ensured that despite all the events of global proportions surrounding her situation, Lily could still laugh and play like any other child.

The plot of the story unfolded wonderfully. There were no unnecessary detours from the central story or characters. The author was intentional about all the plot elements and only added minor subplots that contributed to the main story. There were no loose ends by the time the story was over.

The only dent in this otherwise solid story was its lack of professional editing. I found enough grammar and typographical errors to back up my assertion. These included several instances where the name "Lily" was misspelled as "Lilly." While these errors didn't dampen my enjoyment of the story, other readers may find them disconcerting.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I couldn't give it a higher rating due to its lack of professional editing. I recommend it to all lovers of fiction, adventure, and anyone who might be interested in the supernatural.

Lily's Quest
View: on Bookshelves
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I am curious to know what makes Lily so special. Why are the "beings" specifically interested in her? I'll definitely be on the lookout for this one. Thanks for the great review!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

This sounds pretty good! Guess it just needs another round of editing, but that's about it. Quite curious about Lily and her abilities.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

Her age i.e., 4 years old, sounds a bit far-fetched to me. However, the concept of this story is an interesting one. Thanks for the review.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

It must be quite burdensome realising you have the weight of the world on your shouders as a little girl. Great review.
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

The plot sounds perfect the way it is described in the review. The kind of books that I love reading and always looking for but unfortunately most of them don't reach expectations. This one seems like it won't disappoint. A superb review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel with great characters used to develop a great adventure. Another round of proofreading could make it excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I've read a lot of fantasy novels, but I'm yet to read one where the main character is that young. My curiosity is piqued. Thank you for your great review.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing fantasy novel highlighting paranormal adventures, family, navigating portals and vortexes, time travel, and Ancient Egyptian Gods. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Ashwani123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ashwani123 »

am curious to know what makes Lily so special. Why are the "beings" specifically interested in her? I'll definitely be on the lookout for this one. Thanks for the great review
Michelle Menezes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I'm curious about how Lily manages to convince her parents that the "beings" she sees are more than her figment of imagination. Usually, parents wouldn't believe something like this without proof. I also hope the parallel dimension aspect is explored in a simpler manner, as I've had issues with books that were too technical for my understanding. Overall, this book seems great, so I'm going to check it out.
Loved your review!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

A four-year-old heroine? This I got to see. At that age, I was preoccupied with dolls and little teacups.
Bronwen Khumalo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bronwen-khumalo.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Bronwen Khumalo »

I am interested in know how such a young child could do such wonderful things ,and the fact that even friends were supporting her is so amazing .
I want to know whether all those people who supported her were looking to benefit something or they were just true and honest.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
FLORENCE NGULA
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by FLORENCE NGULA »

the story is about a four year old lily, who discovers her abilities and skills. i like the way she gets support from the family and her friends its a very nice and fantastic book.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

Lily is a young girl with psychic ability. People try to take advantage of this ability so she and her family have to flee. A very intriguing and catchy story. Congratulations BOTD!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”