Official Review: Upheaval by Paolo Ruggirello

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Official Review: Upheaval by Paolo Ruggirello

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Upheaval" by Paolo Ruggirello.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Upheaval: ‌‌The‌ ‌Liberation‌ ‌of‌ ‌Zubare‌ ‌part‌ ‌1‌ ‌by‌ ‌Paolo‌ ‌Ruggirello‌ ‌tells‌ ‌the‌ ‌story‌ ‌of‌ ‌a clan‌ ‌of‌ ‌freedom‌ ‌fighters.‌ ‌For‌ ‌generations, ‌‌the‌ ‌Greca‌ ‌‌and‌ ‌several‌ ‌other‌ ‌clans‌ ‌have‌ ‌schemed‌ ‌and‌ ‌fought‌ ‌against‌ ‌the‌ ‌Cutthroats ‌for‌ ‌the‌ ‌autonomy ‌of‌ ‌their‌ ‌island.‌ ‌The impoverished farmers on the island are barely harvesting enough to feed themselves and their families after paying the crippling tax‌ ‌mandated‌ ‌by‌ ‌the‌ ‌general‌[the ruthless leader of the Cutthroats].‌ ‌An‌ ‌attack‌ ‌on‌ ‌the‌ ‌general's‌ ‌tax‌ ‌collectors‌ ‌leads‌ ‌to‌ ‌a‌ ‌raid‌ ‌on‌ ‌the‌ ‌Greca‌ ‌farm.‌ ‌Bodies dropped after a scuffle between‌ ‌the‌ ‌soldiers‌ ‌and‌ ‌homeowners‌ ‌‌got out of hand‌. Some members‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌family‌ ‌fled‌ afterwards.‌ ‌Still, ‌the‌ ‌general‌ ‌isn't‌ ‌giving‌ ‌up‌ ‌that‌ ‌easily.‌ ‌Now, ‌the‌ ‌survival‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌clan‌ ‌and‌ ‌its‌ ‌mission‌ ‌lies‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌hands‌ ‌of‌ ‌Bertucio, the guardian‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌forest.‌ ‌But‌ ‌his‌ ‌help‌ ‌comes‌ ‌at‌ ‌a‌ ‌cost.‌ ‌ ‌
Paolo‌ ‌melds‌ ‌themes‌ ‌of‌ ‌conflict, love, ‌loss, ‌nature, ‌and‌ ‌magic‌ ‌in‌ ‌this‌ ‌fast-paced‌‌ ‌story.‌ ‌It‌ ‌was‌ ‌such‌ ‌a‌ ‌breezy‌ ‌read, ‌I‌ ‌wafted‌ ‌through‌ ‌its‌ ‌242‌ ‌pages‌ ‌in‌ ‌one‌ ‌sitting.‌ He did a magnificent job building the world for the story. Nature always calls to me, so I appreciate ‌the‌ ‌infusion‌ ‌of‌ ‌greenery and wildlife‌ ‌into the plot.‌ He gave the forest and its denizens a personality and will of their own. As a nature lover, I somewhat envied the intimate relationship Bertucio had with the jungle. ‌

‌In‌ ‌contrast, ‌I‌ ‌wish‌ ‌he‌ ‌dedicated‌ ‌as‌ ‌much‌ ‌work‌ ‌to‌ ‌develop‌ ‌the‌ ‌characters.‌ ‌I‌ ‌tried,‌ ‌but‌ ‌I‌ ‌just‌ ‌couldn't‌ ‌connect‌ ‌to‌ ‌any‌ ‌of‌ ‌them‌ ‌enough‌ ‌to‌ ‌get‌ ‌invested‌ ‌in‌ ‌their‌ ‌lives.‌ ‌This is the first book in the series, and I expected it to lay a solid foundation on the background of the characters. Admittedly, there‌ ‌are‌ ‌glimpses‌ ‌of‌ ‌their‌ ‌backgrounds‌ ‌here‌ ‌and‌ ‌there, ‌but‌ ‌there‌ ‌wasn't‌ ‌enough‌ ‌substance‌ ‌to‌ ‌imprint‌ ‌them‌ ‌on‌ ‌my‌ ‌mind; ‌I‌ ‌presume‌ ‌their‌ ‌histories‌ ‌would‌ ‌unfurl‌ ‌in‌ ‌subsequent‌ ‌instalments, ‌but ‌I‌ ‌like to form an early attachment to‌ the key actors in a story.

‌Again, ‌I‌ ‌think ‌it's‌ ‌odd‌ ‌that‌ ‌a‌ ‌nation‌ ‌that‌ ‌is‌ ‌advanced enough to construct buildings with elevators and retracting‌ ‌pillars‌ ‌has no sophisticated‌ ‌combat‌ ‌weapons‌.‌ ‌Perhaps it’s a supernatural force, but I consider the bond between some characters too fast and unrealistic. Case in point, I didn’t expect Miami to get all chummy with Bertucio so fast after the Aiko situation. ‌ ‌

Overall, I‌ ‌rate‌ ‌the book 3 out of 4 stars.‌ ‌Besides‌ ‌the‌ ‌issues‌ ‌mentioned‌ ‌above,‌ ‌it‌ ‌was‌ ‌a‌ ‌captivating‌ ‌and‌ ‌suspenseful‌ ‌read‌. Moreover, ‌the‌ ‌editing‌ ‌is‌ ‌neat;‌ ‌I‌ ‌spotted‌ ‌just‌ ‌one‌ ‌error‌ ‌throughout‌ ‌the‌ ‌book.‌ The ending is a cliffhanger, but the story wrapped up nicely. ‌ ‌

‌The‌ ‌book‌ ‌will‌ ‌appeal‌ ‌to‌ ‌fans‌ ‌of‌ ‌adventure‌ ‌and‌ ‌action.‌ ‌It‌ ‌contains a sizeable number of violent scenes, though. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend it to children or sensitive readers.

Upheaval
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Last edited by gali on 03 Mar 2021, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reduced spaces toward the end of the review
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

The fight for independence always begins with a rebellion by the proletariat or peasants on the bourgeoisie dominance and control. Great review.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Thank you for the review! I am sure characters will be developed more throughout the series. Sounds like an interesting book though.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Petruschka1
Currently Reading: India in Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by Petruschka1 »

The book seems to reflect the political and financial situation of many countries in today's world. I like the idea of the main character being so immersed in nature. And a cliffhanger at the end sounds good too.
GreatReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

the book seems to promise son actions. And that's my favorite. however, the fact that the author didn't develop the character as needed for easy assimilation.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

This sounds like a quick, entertaining read with an intriguing setting. It’s a pity about the characters lacking any depth, though. Thanks for the great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing novel that uses a fantasy setting to tell a story that reminds of the real events of this world. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

A perfect cover and eye catching for the story this tells. Interesting review—- I am going to read some and see if I like this one. Thanks for this review

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”