Official Review: The One Millionth Report on Planet Earth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Official Review: The One Millionth Report on Planet Earth

Post by shannonkate8 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The One Millionth Report on Planet Earth" by Nandor Ludvig.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The One Millionth Report on Planet Earth by Nandor Ludvig follows the final report of a being, of which we know little about, that was sent to Earth to observe its life and intelligence. The being starts by acknowledging that this will be their final report, as they intend to become one with a human. The narrator discusses all they have seen—from the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs, the evolution of mankind, Christopher Columbus, Charles Darwin, to the present. The narrator also looks into what humans are discussing for the future—robots and global wars. Yet, the purpose and outcome of this report are for readers to learn.

I found this story interesting. It was a unique mix of historical fiction, science, and fantasy. Personally, I enjoyed some of the historical fiction bits. For instance, the author discusses following the discovery of Lucy—perhaps the oldest potential ancestor for humans. The narrator discusses what truly happened to her, something we will never likely know. They then follow the archaeologists as they uncover her bones. It was fascinating to put together this picture, however fictional it may be.

Nevertheless, there were some negatives in the book. First, there was no table of contents. Some authors choose to add this, and others don't. However, I felt that the book could benefit from a table of contents. It could help me digest some of the information better and help me not lose my place.

Additionally, I was not a fan that the author added himself into the book. Early in the book, readers learn that "[it/they] did violate, consciously for the first time, our law of non-interference with the worlds we had created by allowing the stream of this report to enter the mind of a man, Nandor Ludvig" (pg 2). I know the author was trying to show that this celestial being, whoever they may be, chose to enter the mind of a mortal so their story can be cataloged. However, I did not like that the author painted himself as the "chosen one." It took me out of the story and put a bad taste in my mouth. I was also unsure why the author was "chosen" over others.

Further, I worried about how close this story was to the Star Trek series. The premise of Star Trek is to "go where no man has gone before" and to uphold the "Prime Directive of Non-Interference." In The One Millionth Report on Planet Earth, the goal for this otherworldly being is to record life on Earth, observe, and not interfere. It hits a little too close to home for me.

Overall, I have to give the book 2 out of 4 stars. As a whole, the book had a likable storyline that was marred by grammatical errors. While the author may have had some editorial work, I would highly recommend another round of proofreading if he would like it to improve. I also took into consideration the above negatives and personal enjoyment. At this time, I would not recommend the book, as I found it only to be okay.

The One Millionth Report on Planet Earth
View: on Bookshelves
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

This book sounds like it has some intriguing elements and could be a good read. Unfortunately, I agree with you about the author inserting himself as the chosen one into the book. I feel it would disconnect me from the story. Thank you for your good review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel with a good potential that is burdened by some peculiar choices by the author. Maybe some more editing would improve it. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

This seems to be an interesting book.The fact that the author brings out the reason for having the title as a millionth report to the planet earth makes me connect it very well.The title in itself is so captivating.Great review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”