Official Review: Dark Legends by Josh Stevens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Official Review: Dark Legends by Josh Stevens

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dark Legends" by Josh Stevens.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“As he trained in martial arts and weapons techniques, he began to wonder what fate had in store for him. He knew that an enemy could be anyone, but the one he least suspected would truly be his greatest enemy.”

In Nevidia, a planet located in an unknown system far from our own, two friends have grown up together. Their home had known war and devastation many centuries before they were born until the seven kings came into power. A wicked ancient spirit had deceived one of the sons of King Toleca Tamous who eventually murdered his father. The tyrant emperor, Jaletal Tamous, had reigned with devastating force for ten years with the support of the dark army until he was defeated by Guliath, the son of his deceased father’s general. Jaletal’s concubine had managed to escape with her three sons using a secret route. The seeds of these two families would germinate over many years unknown to many.

After ten thousand years, the last descendant of the vicious emperor is about to avenge his family by obliterating Nevidia and the entire planetary system. His name is Doctor Jelic Talious, and the same demon that possessed his ancestor is manipulating him. Fortunately, Salvec, a descendant of Guliath, is in control of Starcity One, the most advanced and powerful interstellar ship. Salvec is facing an ambitious opponent. He has to find new allies in the battle to save his race and locate a new home. How will he find new partners? What is Jelic’s plan? What is needed to stop this monster?

Dark Legends is one of the most enthralling science fiction I have ever read. In roughly 300 pages, Josh Stevens weaves a fascinating tale down to the concluding chapter. The narration moves back and forth in time, which generates suspense that constantly feeds the reader’s curiosity. I enjoyed the third-person point of view so much that, at times, I felt a legendary storyteller was narrating a captivating story to me. Whether on the battlefield, on base planning for the next one or traveling, the vivid descriptions made it possible to visualize everything. The plot was unique, and the characters were brilliantly developed as well.

I found every aspect of the book likable. When I thought the plot itself was interesting, the twists and turns made the reading experience more exciting. I had to stop guessing and simply come to terms with the fact that I had to wait, although anxiously. While the mind-blowing technological advances brought out the book’s fanciful nature, the fact that a single threat facing two races unified them was realistic and believable. The cooperation, in the face of annihilation, was awe-inspiring. I discovered more than ten grammatical errors in the book, though.

I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars because of poor editing. Nevertheless, it is a memorable story of revenge, greed, love, and triumph over evil. I recommend it to all readers of science fiction and fantasy. The book contains a few profane words, which may not detract any reader from enjoying it.

Dark Legends
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Alheotuci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Alheotuci »

From reading your review, I find this story quite interesting! Thanks for an engaging review.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

It sounds like this author has created an interesting world. The story jumping through time sounds interesting. Great review!
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

This book sounds complex and thrilling. I love to read good sci-fi, so even with the poor editing, I'm going to add it to my want-to-read shelf. Thank you for your great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an epic science fiction story that just needs proper proofreading to be excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like an exciting story. Great review!
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I think I will definitely enjoy this one. Science fiction with historical fiction elements is just my thing. Great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”