Official Review: The MacAlister Blade by Joseph D Ferguson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Official Review: The MacAlister Blade by Joseph D Ferguson

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The MacAlister Blade" by Joseph D Ferguson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Treyson McAlister is reluctant to leave his pregnant wife home alone, but he cannot ignore his grandfather's dying wish to recover the MacAlister blade. Although the quest to find his ancestors' sword in Scotland seems daunting, the dire warning about the world's need for the sword drives Treyson to do whatever it takes to honor his grandfather and protect the future for his unborn son.

A cataclysmic event on the horizon and an ever-growing war between the forces of magic and technology will come to the forefront of Treyson's journey as he gathers allies. His world is falling apart, and he will have to work together with new-found friends to unite the survivors of the devastating event while stopping a powerful foreign enemy.

The MacAlister Blade, by J.D. Ferguson, is a fast-paced science-fantasy novel with a post-apocalyptic backdrop. I loved this book's concept and how the characters had to join together in a sort of found family to survive the challenges presented in the book. The author shakes up the story by bringing together characters with different backgrounds and skills from around the world and dramatically changing their lives. Many people in our modern world would struggle with the loss of technology presented in this book, and watching the protagonists adapt and survive was my favorite part of the story.

The plot itself is relatively straightforward and easy to follow. While new technology is introduced in the book, the author briefly explains what it is and what it does without highly technical exposés on why or how it worked. This aspect of the book should appeal to readers looking for pure entertainment but may not appeal to fans of hard science fiction.

My least favorite part of the book was the vast number of editing issues and the lack of development in certain scenes and character motivations. There were a few places throughout the story that seemed a bit rushed, and even in the ending scenes, I wished there would have been additional resolution and tying of loose ends. Despite the book's rapid ending, however, the author did catch my interest, and I would like to see the story continue in a sequel.

I would gladly give The MacAlister Blade a 3-star rating because the story was entertaining, and I enjoyed the blend of magic and survival in a post-apocalyptic world. Unfortunately, the sheer number of errors in the book reduces my rating to two out of four. The author has a solid grasp of storytelling, and I would love to see this book undergo a thorough editing session. As this was the author's debut novel, I honestly believe his writing skill will improve with his next book, and I look forward to seeing that growth.

The book contained no sexual content, and a total of two mild swear words. I believe that the story would appeal to high school readers as well as adults. I would warn sensitive readers that there is a lot of death and some gruesome descriptions of the bodies in the first portion of the book. There are a few scenes with violence, but there are no gory depictions.

The MacAlister Blade
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

The setting of this book sounds exciting, and I like that the characters come from multiple backgrounds and bring different traits and skills to the plot. It’s a pity about the errors and the plot issues, but overall it sounds like a good book. Thanks for the great review!
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

Thanks for the review. This sure seem like a good story, and I'll love to see exactly how the author blends magic and technology in a world that just survived a meltdown.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

Quite a mesmerizing tale that I would want to be a part of - I wonder what I would do, look after my pregnant wife or go for the blade that is needed to prevent a cataclysmic event! Thanks for the wonderful review.
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

This book sounds like an exciting read! I often wonder how I would handle these same situations, usually not very well. Ha. I may give it a go. Thank you for your good review!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I love the concept of the main character and his "found family" on a quest. Too bad the editing isn't better. Thanks for your insights!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The novel contains an interesting mix of science fiction and fantasy element, too bad they don't seem to be properly developed. Maybe a professional editor might help the author. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Thank you for the review. It's a shame about the errors. The book does sound promising though.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like an interesting story with the mix of magic and technology and the search for the MacAlister blade. I might give it a try. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”