Official Review: Black Cards by D. Hurd

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Black Cards by D. Hurd

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Black Cards" by D. Hurd.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Black Cards is a fantasy novel written by D. Hurd. We follow the adventures of four young friends in their twenties – a modest but attractive schoolteacher named Tasha, a playful Asian thief called Allie, a dramatic blonde bombshell named Lesley, and an ex-Marine called Clive, who served in Afghanistan and Iraq. They find themselves transported to a mystical world full of fairies, elves, werewolves, dwarves, trolls, shapeshifters, and doppelgangers, among other out-of-this-world things.

Everything began with a myth one of Tasha’s students told her – the Myth of the Black Cards. According to it, if you paint the four queens of an ordinary deck of playing cards black, make a square with them on the floor, and sit in the middle of it while chanting, a portal to another world appears. The four friends tried it one night, and it (shockingly) worked! They soon found themselves in a dark forest, fighting to survive. The friends must find their way back to Earth, but they learn that they are meant to fulfill a prophecy and help save this magical world.

Starting with the positives, I thought that the book’s characters were relatable and likable. Their personalities and predicaments are nicely weaved and developed throughout the book. The plot is also solid. There’s a slight cliffhanger in the ending, paving the way to a possible sequel. Despite this, though, the plot gets well resolved, leaving no open-ended questions.

Above all, the magical elements were what I liked the most about the novel. As the story progresses, the four main characters have to merge with the magical world. I liked how Lesley, for instance, merges with Cora, a powerful witch whom Kaskar, an evil mage, tried to kill. Lesley learns how to access Cora’s thoughts, which were entwined with her own. I also appreciated how Allie bonded with a fairy named Holly.

What I disliked the most about the book was its slight normalization of sexual violence. There are several strong passages involving sexual harassment and abuse, and I felt that these instances were somewhat romanticized by the author. Prospective readers should also consider that there’s a fair share of profanity in the book.

In closing, I rate Black Cards 2 out of 4 stars. Unfortunately, I found more than ten editing mishaps in the book. Although they were not egregious, they were enough to warrant the removal of one star from the rating. The second star gets subtracted due to the negative aspect previously mentioned. Still, I would recommend it to fans of fantasy novels. Readers who are put off by sexual violence and profanity might not like it, though.

Black Cards
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

This does sound like a pretty cool book honestly! Loved the review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
The Reading Dutchman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-reading-dutchman.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by The Reading Dutchman »

This review is really well-balanced. The summary tells you enough to understand what is going on. It could perhaps have been slightly shorter with more space for your analysis of the negatives and positives. I say this because I really liked your analysis of these things, especially your honesty regarding the negatives. You are also very clear about how these elements influence the final score, leading to a neat and satisfying logical progression of your analysis. Keep it up!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like and engaging fantasy novel, though the treatment of sexual violence is offputting. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

This book sounds like a fun and engaging read. Thank you for your honest and great review!
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

This sounds like a fun book. Will be putting on my bookshelf!!!! A bit far fetched , as I’m not used to reading fantasy books. I enjoyed this review though and think this is definitely worth a try
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

That reminds me of Jumanji and the Journey series of movies. It seems like a good read, except for the romanticizing of the tortures mentioned. It's also unfortunate it contains so many errors. An excellent review though!
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

Thank you for the warning. That is a definite trigger for me, so normalizing such a sensitive topic would not be comfortable for me to read. Thank you for your honest review!
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

I am a bit put off by the sexual violence but otherwise this sounds like an interesting story. Unfortunately, I will have to pass on this one.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

Besides the mentioned errors, this sounds like an interesting read. Hopefully the author will go back and fix those mistakes. Thank you for your wonderful review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”