Official Review: Dimension by Gordon Wesley Simmons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Re: Official Review: Dimension by Gordon Wesley Simmons

Post by Yvonne Monique »

It's certainly original to combine the Vatican with a science fiction story, and the creation of a second Christ sounds promising for an interesting book.
Noriel DM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noriel-dm.html
Latest Review: Customer Service Is DEAD by Mitche Graf

Post by Noriel DM »

Sounds interesting. I might read this book. Thank you for the review. :)
We are all unique in our own ways :D
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I love the thought-provoking plot, sounds incredible. It's a shame about the editing though. Thanks for the insightful review.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

The Vatican and a lot of intrigues: it seems like a recipe for success. I disliked the fact that the editing needs work, however. Great and very honest review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like an interesting plot, but I'm not a sci-fi fan, so I'll skip it. Great review!
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

Thank you for this fantastic review
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Not quite my cup of tea to be frank, but thanks for your great review! :)
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The Vatican creating an ideal entity sounds unusual yet intriguing. Too bad about the editing and other issues. I hope they get fixed. Thanks for the insights.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Creating a being that is near perfect sounds like a daunting task. I am curious where this leads. Hopefully, the author will correct the problems soon so the book reaches its highest potential. Great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. Trying to create a superior race? A trip to Alpha Centauri? I'll have to look into this further. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Trying to create the perfect man has never ended well! I wonder where the author took this plot and how the second coming of Christ figures as a theme in the book. I enjoyed your lively description of the three female characters. Great review!
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

This is a must read text for me.Thanks for the informative review.It sounds great.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks this interesting review and recommendations. Seems to be an intriguing read full of suspense. I'll add this to my bookshelf.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

This book seems to be doing a lot. Vatican creating a man. NASA and deep space exploration all in one book. I know you mentioned there were a lot of character. I'm curious, did you find that the plot was overly complex? Thank you for the insightful review.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Bits Of Inkling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bits-of-inkling.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Tayma Tameem

Post by Bits Of Inkling »

Sou Hi wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 02:07 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dimension" by Gordon Wesley Simmons.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dimension: Breaking Through The Looking Glass is a sci-fi book written by Gordon Wesley Simmons. With a slow but steady pace, it contains enough suspense and surprises to keep you on the edge of your seat.

For decades, Vatican had been dreaming of creating an ideal creature. They wanted a sinless man to father and lead a new race. After countless failures, they were able to produce a near-perfect entity, Mel. He was mentally defective, but his wisdom surpassed that of all geniuses. With his intellect and ability to manipulate quantum physics, Mel was selected as a crew member for NASA's Enterprise. Along with his caretaker, Rochelle, four more people were on board: Sarah, Helen, Larry, and Brian. The destination of this spaceship was Alpha Centauri. What were they trying to see there? Was Mel really a product of mankind? What game were the Lords of Heaven and Hell playing?

One of the tale's best parts is that it features three female characters with different personalities and mindsets. At the end of the story, each of them receives a befitting ending as the result of their own choices. Helen is merely a normal scientist, but her love and loyalty for Larry are quite admirable. While enduring her unfulfilled dream and her loss, the mild-mannered Rochelle struggles to find the correct things to do. Meanwhile, Sarah is the typical incompetent dictator, lusting after power and sex. Being blinded by her ego, she is cocky and ignorant, constantly putting herself to shame. Among the cast, she annoys me the most.

On the downside, I don't enjoy the repetition. Many phrases are cited several times, making me feel like I am reading the same thing over and over. I think it would be better if the author could reduce or replace them with similar words or expressions. I would suggest another round of proofreading to fix the grammar mistakes, as I found a lot of typos and punctuation errors in the PDF file I received. In addition, the misplacements of commas are distracting. The huge number of characters will also be confusing.

I give this novel 3 out of 4 stars. This is an interesting book for those who like sci-fi, but I deduct one star because of the abovementioned negative points. If you are interested in exploring another dimension or the Second Coming of Christ, I recommend this story. Even though the plot has many religious references, you don't need too much knowledge to understand the flow. Still, sensitive readers may not enjoy some details. Due to the cruel nature of the torture and the sexual descriptions, this novel is not safe for young readers and those who dislike these attributes. There are scenes of making love between heterosexual couples as well as homosexual couples.

Dimension
View: on Bookshelves
Base on your review lots of stuffs are happening but its quite intriguing. I guess its another tale of science vs. religion.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”