Official Review: The Sacred Band Trinity by James MacTavish

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Official Review: The Sacred Band Trinity by James MacTavish

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sacred Band Trinity" by James MacTavish.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our story begins in Ancient Greece with the Sacred Band of Thebes, an elite force of 150 pairs of male lovers that left its mark on history. Unbeknownst to most people, however, these warriors received supernatural abilities and a powerful relic, the Palladium, from the gods. Even after the Sacred Band fell apart, its descendants carried on protecting the treasure but eventually split into two rival factions: the Red Dragon and the White Dragon. Each faction has very different views on their roles in the world and how to use the Palladium. This secret conflict has been shaping society from the shadows since King Arthur's time, generation after generation.

The Sacred Band Trinity: Part.1: Palladium is the first entry in James MacTavish's urban fantasy trilogy. Set in 2011, the story centers on Red Dragon members as they try to prevent the White Dragon from retrieving the Palladium. It's a short, action-packed novel filled with fights involving magic, ancient mysteries, and modern weaponry, as well as detailed world-building and a diverse cast of characters.

I'm often wary of heavily combat-oriented books since the nonstop action leaves me feeling numb, turning excitement into boredom, but this novel hooked me from beginning to end. On top of striking a healthy balance between battles, dialogue, character development, and exposition, the author writes simple but vivid descriptions without distracting details or awkward cuts, almost making you feel you're watching a movie.

While the fight scenes are exciting, the book shines the most in its imaginative blend of mythology and history, crafting a unique setting by connecting such disparate things as Greek gods and Arthurian legends to World War II and contemporary events. Additionally, themes such as legacy, fate, and cycles play a huge role in the story, forcing characters to confront the past even if they would rather dismiss it and carry on with their normal lives.

You can read the entire novel in one sitting, which is both a strength and a weakness. By the time you reach the ending, you'll still be bursting with excitement but also a bit disappointed due to several loose ends. In particular, the White Dragon members feel unexplored and lack a convincing motivation besides ideals of "balance." That said, it would be unfair to consider this a flaw since the first book of a series should lure the reader into wanting to find out more. If this was MacTavish's objective, then there's no doubt he succeeded.

The Sacred Band Trinity: Part.1: Palladium is a fun story that should satisfy your fantasy needs. Taking into account that it's the beginning of a trilogy and there are only minor editing issues, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. Fans of series such as Percy Jackson and The Mortal Instruments will likely find plenty to enjoy; indeed, the novel is quite suitable for a young adult audience. On the other hand, readers who prefer gritty or dense fantasy stories might want to look elsewhere since, despite all the fighting and mythology, this isn't a particularly heavy read.

The Sacred Band Trinity
View: on Bookshelves
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing this review. I enjoyed reading it.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I absolutely loved the Percy Jackson books! I am sold! Great review. I will have to pick this up.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging urban fantasy novel with intriguing roots in ancient mythology. I'll look into this trilogy. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”