Official Review: Donner und Blitzkrieg by Jeffrey Harlan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Official Review: Donner und Blitzkrieg by Jeffrey Harlan

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Donner und Blitzkrieg" by Jeffrey Harlan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Donner und Blitzkrieg by Jeffrey Harlan begins during the Koran War with soldiers from different branches of the military discovering they have superpowers. They are brought together to create Team Liberty, but before they can be deployed to Korea, a cease fire is called and the war soon ends. Alex Stevens, called Nucleus, and Percy van Norton, called Strongman, return to New York City. Alex finds it difficult to transition back to being a civilian and quickly tires of reading so much bad news in the newspaper, so he decides to become a superhero. Percy, who comes from a wealthy family, agrees to help him get started and eventually becomes a superhero too. Other superheroes also begin to appear. Meanwhile, in a Nazi settlement in Argentina, Erich Eidelmann, the son of a former Nazi general, is dissatisfied with the slow moving plans to rebuild the Reich. He takes on the name Donner and decides to take action by attacking the United States with those loyal to him. Will Nucleus, Strongman, and the other superheroes of New York be able to stop him?

This is a very well-written book. The pace was a little slow in the beginning because of all the characters that were introduced and setting things up for later, which was my least favorite thing about the story, but it had a steady build-up that made me eager for the introduction of Donner. However, there were also a few unnecessary scenes that did slow the pace down a bit.

My favorite thing about this book was the sense of realism that I felt throughout the story. The dialogue was realistic, and the German characters used some German words. There were scenes that dealt with family reactions to superheroes in general and to finding out that their family member is a superhero, and also scenes dealing with a loved ones dislike of superheroes. However, this was more focused on with Alex, and I wish this aspect had also been explored with some of the other characters more. The story also brought up the question of the legalities involved with superheroes, like how they would be able to testify in trials.

The characters themselves were also believable, particularly in their struggles in transitioning back to being civilians and then whether to reveal their identities. These elements of realism and characterization nicely balanced out the action parts.

The author also did a fantastic job of describing events and people. I was easily able to imagine the scenes like they were happening in a movie.

So although I did have a few issues with the story, they were very minor in comparison to all of the other great things about this book. And I only found two editing mistakes, so it was professionally edited. Therefore, I am pleased to give this book 4 out of 4 stars. Although there was violence and even some deaths, there were no graphic descriptions, and the only profane words used were crap and damn. So I highly recommend this book to superhero fans ages 14 and up.

Donner und Blitzkrieg
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting story about superhero that gives them depth and uses them for complex plot developments. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Now I am curious about how they discovered their superpowers! Thank you for a great review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Wow, what an interesting plot! Superheroes and Nazis seems like a good combination. Thank you for this interesting review!
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It seems like a quite intriguing and interesting plot. Thank you for an enlightening review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a very intriguing read that I might check out :) Thanks for a great review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This story definitely sounds intriguing. So, did these superheroes always have these powers, or did something cause them? This sounds like an imaginative and well-written novel. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 380
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Know Your Buyer! by D.L. Andrews
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

That's quite a thought - how could a superhero testify at a trial? Thanks for your interesting and well-written review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This sounds like an interesting story thank you for the great and insightful review.
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

An intriguing storyline with superheroes and one which seems realistic is something that piques my interest. Thank you for the informative review.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

NetMassimo wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 17:16 This seems like an interesting story about superhero that gives them depth and uses them for complex plot developments. Thank you for your great review!
MsH2k wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 00:15 Now I am curious about how they discovered their superpowers! Thank you for a great review.
raluca_mihaila wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 02:07 Wow, what an interesting plot! Superheroes and Nazis seems like a good combination. Thank you for this interesting review!
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

ViviVivid wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 12:13 An intriguing storyline with superheroes and one which seems realistic is something that piques my interest. Thank you for the informative review.
Marcel Cantu wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 16:18 This sounds like an interesting story thank you for the great and insightful review.
ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 13:18 That's quite a thought - how could a superhero testify at a trial? Thanks for your interesting and well-written review.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Dimi1 wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 03:45 It seems like a quite intriguing and interesting plot. Thank you for an enlightening review!
Ellylion wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 05:44 Sounds like a very intriguing read that I might check out :) Thanks for a great review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Prisallen wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 08:06 This story definitely sounds intriguing. So, did these superheroes always have these powers, or did something cause them? This sounds like an imaginative and well-written novel. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Thanks for reading and commenting! I'd say it's that they always had them but didn't know it until they were in a situation for their abilities to come out and be used.
simo12
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by simo12 »

thank you pal, for a well detailed review, Presently I'm interested about how they found their superpowers

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”