Official Review: The Pandora Paradox by Dee Roberts

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Official Review: The Pandora Paradox by Dee Roberts

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Pandora Paradox" by Dee Roberts.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Pandora Paradox: The Future has a Plan for the Past by Dee Roberts is a sci-fi/fantasy that revolves around technology taking over the world. The Agency, a single one-world organization that created a social credit system without mobile phones, was developed in 2033. As it gets closer to the year 2050, they realize they have a society with no worries. Humans care about nothing and have no free will because technology dictates everything they do. It is a world of oppression, processes, and slavery where technology rules—a place where Lazarus will have you shot just for laughing. Robert, a human, and an AI computer component, Bee, team up with multiple other characters to combat Lazarus, an AI component, to save humanity. Their battles carry them back and forth between the human world and the virtual world. There is a paradox between the past and future. Do you know what it is? Can only one world exist, or must they co-exist together? Can humanity be saved? Or will humanity continue to be ruled by technology? Read this book to find out.

There are a couple of things I like about this book. Firstly, the author has done a fantastic job with character development. The reader can easily visualize the characters regardless if they are human or a computer component. Secondly, the author provides many lessons for us to learn. My two favorites are to listen to your inner voice, and revenge is an unsatisfied drug. If your inner voice tells you that something is wrong, it probably is. Once you take revenge, the wrong does not go away; therefore, you seek more.

I was not fond of the book's implication that humans can be ruled by technology. Realizing how dependent humanity has become on computers was unsettling to me. It made me stop and think about how reliant I am on computers. I do not remember the last time I read a book that was not on the computer and how most professions rely on computers. Also, I did not like that a professional editor had not edited this 604-page book.

The book is full of errors consisting of missing words and verb misuse. These errors were distracting and made the book a slow read. For these reasons, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book would merit full stars if a professional editor edited it.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy sci-fi/fantasy books and gamers. This book would make an exciting video game. I do caution readers that this book does contain non-borderline profanity, violence, and cloning. This content may be disturbing to some readers.

The Pandora Paradox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I would not have guessed from the cover design that this book is about AI intelligence! I do agree with you that humans can't be fully ruled by technology. But, it is startling that we depend on computers so much these days. I am sorry that the lack of editing prevented you from fully enjoying the book. Thanks for giving your honest opinion of The Pandora Paradox.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging novel that also offers some food for thought on important issues. I hope the author does another round of editing to "clean" his book. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I thought it was clever to include that the book would make a good video game. That makes me think that this read is very enjoyable and fun to read. Thanks for the great , detailed review
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Sounds like an interesting book, but also disturbing with the amount of technology currently surrounding us.
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MarveeAman »

People controlled by technology is indeed a scary idea! I love those nuggets of wisdom that you have mentioned. Thanks for the review.
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

The paradox really comes out when technology controls and enslaves people instead of helping them solve some issues.So unfortunate!!.Anyway this is a great review.
laseniola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laseniola.html
Latest Review: The Smartest Person in the Room by Christian Espinosa

Post by laseniola »

I wasn't prepared for the plot of this novel.
Excellent review!
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

This book is like a silent glimpse into the future we do not know not see.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Pandora Paradox. The name has me thinking its doomsday soon. It isn't long before the future is for certain under the control of machines and tech. Good review and it should definitely be made into a game.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

This sounds like a problem we are already facing. People have become so reliant on technology. It’s a scary idea to have it run our entire lives. Sounds like a good story. It’s too bad the editing errors were distracting.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”