Official Review: Renegade of Light by Dennis Higgins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Official Review: Renegade of Light by Dennis Higgins

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Renegade of Light" by Dennis Higgins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Renegade of Light by Jason McLeod is a sci-fi and fantasy novel based on an original screenplay by Dennis E. Higgins that explores the Universal Creator, multiple dimensions, and beings that pose great threats to the existence and consciousness of humans.

The story begins with the creation of humans to evolve into the best versions of themselves. The Reptilians intercept this plan, however, and they succeed in diminishing the enlightened part of the human DNA while enhancing negative emotions in humans and creating systems in place to ensure sustainability. Consequently, humans lose touch with the supernatural dimension. Through thousands of years, there's no hope for the awakening of humans until we meet the most unlikely of sources for hope: Danny Phelps, a dirty cop who has been in a battle with his demons since watching his older brother die as a child without interfering. What is a corrupt officer's role in helping humans ascend over the fear, greed, anger, envy, and self-hatred that have ravaged us since the beginning of time? Will he be successful?

This was quite a stimulating read for me, as the author explores the cause and impact of the low levels of consciousness that are affecting us in real life today while raising several thought-provoking questions. He displays a lot of what is wrong in the way we see the world, which has lead to humans being enslaved by negative emotions and wrong religious and political beliefs. The story incorporates the creation story from the Bible, with the Universal Creator representing God and the Reptilians representing Satan. However, Jason McLeod creatively accomplishes this by including genetic editing as a massive weapon for the Reptilians. The author does a fantastic job in world-building, and this was my favorite aspect of the book.

A lot of work also goes into our complex main character, Danny. Seeing that the rest of the world's fate rested on Danny's shoulders piqued my interest from the first scene I encountered him. He isn't exactly the kind of hero readers will expect. From doing cocaine, pulling people over illegally, and planting evidence to stealing and murder, Danny seems more like a ruthless villain, which is the ultimate irony. There is a reason for the way he is, however, especially with a lot of the things he suffered that readers will get to see when they pick up this book. The execution of his character also taught me a thorough lesson on being judgmental.

Furthermore, Jason McLeod's descriptive style of writing shines through almost every page of the book, which gives you the perfect picture of the setting in each scene. The book is also professionally edited. The three minor errors I found had no bearing on my enjoyment of this well-executed novel.

All things considered, Renegade of Light strongly deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I cannot think of anything I dislike about the book, as it checks all my boxes for a solid fantasy novel. Therefore, I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy fantasy and sci-fi stories. The profanity included means that it is only suitable for a mature audience.

Renegade of Light
View: on Bookshelves
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Interesting topic and an infamous hero. I love the concept of the book. You've done a great job in writing this review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a unique novel mixing fantasy, religion, conspiracy theories, and possibly even more. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
S P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-p.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by S P »

I love it when books have a protagonist that has more of an antagonistic characterisation! It's such an unusual thing to have and really highlights our capacity to be good or evil as human beings. Sounds like a book I would love - thanks for a great review!
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

Thanks for your review! I love the "corrupt" nature of the "hero" because I imagine it adds to the biblical nuance. It sounds like Higgins is quite the clever author!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”