Official Review: The Lost Theory by Michael Kelley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Official Review: The Lost Theory by Michael Kelley

Post by Guda Lydia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lost Theory" by Michael Kelley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sean Byron McQueen leads a solitary and ordinary life since the sudden death of his wife nine years ago. He juggles between teaching literature at NYU and nurturing his secret dream of writing a novel. His closest friend, Dylan Byrne, leads a lifestyle of scientific research and spirituality. He moves across the planet in search of elusive answers to life and force. One afternoon, a cryptic letter from Dylan interrupts Sean’s solitary bliss. Dylan claims to have discovered a mind-bending and life-altering discovery that even escaped Einstein, the theory of everything. He also expresses concerns about a government plot to silence him. Sean dismisses the claims but agrees to meet his friend for further discussions. The meeting never materialized, and Dylan was found dead in his hotel room with no apparent cause of death.

Fueled by curiosity, guilt, and love for his dear friend, Sean vows to uncover the truth and release the theory to the world. He joins forces with Emily Edens, a professor in the quantum physics department at Columbia University and Dylan’s collaborator. They begin retracing Dylan’s footsteps, ending up in Kathmandu, a mystical place where Dylan had the breakthrough. On their heels is the Guru, an influential and powerful CIA operative whose goal is to be the sole owner of the theory. In Kathmandu, things take a peculiar turn when they face both natural and man-induced calamities, leaving them within an inch of their lives. How deep does the government cover-up run? What will be the ultimate cost of Sean and Emily's pursuit? Most importantly, does the theory even exist?

Michael Kelley excellently crafts the characters, ensuring a realistic depiction of their nature. Each has a comprehensive and vivid description, bringing out their physical traits and personality attributes. The distinction between the literal and sensitive Sean and the scientific and rational Emily is clear and a unique blend. The various scenes and settings are also easy to visualize and experience, such as the calming ambiance of the Deeksha resort in Kathmandu or the cold and brutal interrogation cells. The book is also intriguing due to the author’s poetic writing style and philosophical approach to life and science.

The Lost Theory has two unfolding stories, and this is my favorite aspect of the book. First, Sean and his compatriot’s lives unfold as they dodge the government and continue searching for the documents. Concurrently, Sean is also converting his experiences and developing them into a novel. In it, Sean’s life is unfolding as James and Emily as Brigitte, and everyone else has their assigned names and roles as Sean sees fit. This made my reading experience highly appealing as I had two equally thrilling and suspenseful stories unfolding in parallel. I equally love the humorous metaphors and phrases used throughout the book. There is absolutely nothing to dislike about the book. The conclusion is perfect, leaving one yearning for more and sad to leave the world.

I found only one grammatical error, a testament to the book’s professional editing. The language is intelligible, and all the scientific concepts are easy to follow and understand. The use of profanities is minimal, and the intimate scenes are metaphorically and tastefully explained. There is mention of spirituality, Buddhism, and meditation within the read. However, it completes the story and is not imposing or offensive. The Lost Theory is a creative mix of crime, science fiction, and delicate romance. Right from the introduction, the book takes you through a world of government conspiracies, absolute love and spirituality, quantum physics, and humor. It will tug at your heartstrings, steer you to an epiphany and keep you in a constant state of suspense and anticipation. I recommend The Lost Theory to lovers of adventure stories that take one through the good, bad, and mysteries of life. The rating is 4 out of 4 stars.

The Lost Theory
View: on Bookshelves
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Quantum theory and government conspiracies, that's a good mix. Will the lost theory be found or stay lost forever?Great Review!
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

Crime fiction and the criminal investigations it usually comes with is always interesting to read about. Your review draws me to this story.

Great review.
Zaeda Amrin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaeda-amrin.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Zaeda Amrin »

I love a good mystery, especially when it’s as well written as you described. It sounds like a fresh take on long-established theories with a touch of crime, which is right up my alley. Thanks for the detailed review!
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

This book sounds very interesting, especially the part about being two stories in one. I’m curious to see how the author pulled that off. Thank you for your wonderful review.
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MarveeAman »

The plot is captivating. I'm fond of govt. conspiracy stories, and I'm going to read this for sure. Thanks for a helpful review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

You’ve made me very interested to find out what exactly the theory of everything is. Thanks for the e intriguing review!
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

A very nice, well thought out review. This sounds very interesting- not positive I will like it but it’s worth a try.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Wonder what this great discovery, this theory of everything is about. Would definitely love to get my hands on this book. Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

There's a lot in this novel offering suspense that keeps the readers' attention and you might get some food for thought concerning some philosophical and spiritual elements. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

The storyline is a captivating one. Glad to read of the two unfolding stories and your enjoyment of them. Thank you for this review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”