The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AWJO1991
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Post by AWJO1991 »

I'm currently reading this. Only on page 20 though. I refuse to see the movie until I'm done reading.
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

I still have yet to read this book. I bought it, and I was going to read it, and I started it, but I just haven't gotten around to reading it all yet. Maybe that is because I feel like there are other books that are more deserving of my time.
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
Jbennett96
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbennett96.html

Post by Jbennett96 »

This is the first time I've actually appreciated a movie over a book. In saying that I regretfully watched the movie having only read half the book, but the ending in the movie was a lot better. I am actually really hoping the sequel movie is better than the scorch trials because I didn't enjoy the book. Fingers crossed.
ruthsbabe
Favorite Author: Lois Lowry
Favorite Book: The Giver by Lois Lowry
Currently Reading: The Girl With All the Gifts M. Carey
fav_author_id: 2653

Post by ruthsbabe »

I actually really enjoyed the Maze Runner. When you finish this book I felt like I had to immediately pick up the next one in order to continue trying to figure out what the heck was going on. I know that some people didn't like the "little bit of information at a time" approach Dasher took, but I felt like it if well with the overall concept. That's exactly what was happening to Thomas and it helped me connect with him and what was happing to him, as well as the other boys. A Must read in my opinion!
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

Loved the movie so it is now on my 'to read list'!
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
Soreta

Post by Soreta »

I enjoy most genres and I thought Dashner did a great job of thinking outside the box with The Maze Runer. I haven't watched the movie yet and I can't wait to see if they portrayed the maze and the characters the way my imagination conjured them up...

Loved that the book was inspired by Lord of the Flies - my all time favorite book.
Mireillevl

Post by Mireillevl »

I saw the movie before i read the book, and i regret that so much. I enjoyed reading the Maze Runner but i prefer to create the way the characters look by myself but now that was already created by the movie
I recomment to read the book before watching the movie, but that is most of the time
DalekPrideParade
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalekprideparade.html

Post by DalekPrideParade »

I really enjoyed reading The Maze Runner. I read it before the movie came out and then I went to go see it. I was quite let down by the movie, the book is so much better, I feel like the movie lets the book down a little.
frantonym

Post by frantonym »

I'm about 75% through this book and so far I really enjoy it and have not been able to put it down. Debating whether or not to see the movie when I'm done or move onto the next book - because often the movies lessen my excitement to move forward with the series since they're never as good.
melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn

Post by melbuhtoast »

Sary86 wrote:Plus, the characters are well built (almost all of them) and fully integrated in the story. Sometimes I read books in which secondary characters are there only because the protagonist cannot be alone in the story but they do not really take part in it. In these books, on the other hand, all of them add something to the plot.
I have read the first two books in this series, and am in the middle of the third. Like others in this forum, I agree that the story Dashner has woven is wonderful. While the writing style may not be overly beautiful, I thought it served the story very well. I also agree with Sary86 - I completely enjoyed getting to know the other characters in the story. I was pulling for more than just one character, and it felt important to the story itself.

I also loved that, through Thomas as the narrative voice, I was constantly curious - second guessing every move and never knowing whether it was right or wrong, or if things were happening because there was some kind of manipulation at play.

I think my reading experience was a bit different because I am reading all three books as one big e-book that I purchased for my Kindle. I've just continued reading without stopping for any real length of time between books, and I think it's helped with feeling disappointed by subsequent books (which happens to me a lot with series!) because there wasn't any lag time. Has anyone else experienced this before?
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn
cathy_the_shy_girl17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathy-the-shy-girl17.html

Post by cathy_the_shy_girl17 »

hi...ahm...i haven't read the book but based on the reviews of the other member that read it ..well for my opinion maybe they just cut or edited some parts of the books to put that in an almost two hour movie..i watched the movie anyway and it has a kinda suspense effect....:-)
MarieMc
Currently Reading: Host
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariemc.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MarieMc »

I've read all the books. Loved the story. At times is seemed long, but then it moved fast. Without giving away any spoilers the ending of the last book was... somewhat of a twist, I was not expecting it to be quite like that.
Today is a good day
to have GOOD day!!
lennon_fontaine14
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennon-fontaine14.html

Post by lennon_fontaine14 »

It was nerve-wracking, breathtaking, and fast-pacing! The plot and the idea of the story was so shuckingly fantastic and awesome! I always find myself breathless chapter by chapter.

I’ve read a lot of dystopian novels by well, ofcourse, female authors. It was my first time to read a dystopian novel from a male author. And as you could guess, I am so mortified that I haven’t read this before. It was so good that it beat the shuck out of me. Hahaha!

I am still quite clueless about what really happened in Thomas’ world aside from the fact that their home was never the home they used to have because of some devastating things that was cause by the sun. So, basically the story’s theme was all about what we used to read in a typical dystopian novel- destoryed Earth. BUT, what sets this apart from every dystopian books that it deserves to be in the big screen (soooooon) is the fact that the lead characters were trap in a maze with no memory to grasp why they were there in the first place. They only know their name and basic things about the world they used to live before the maze but another than that, they were definitely clueless about the life they used to have. They have to find a way to escape from the Maze that seems to hold nothing but puzzlement among the Gladers. They are desperate to go home and find a solution to bring back their memories. And have I told you that they were trap in a maze full of Grievers? Monstrous creatures that could scare the crap out of you even if you’re as brave as Minho or Alby?

The Maze Runner is as beautiful as the Legend Trilogy by Marie Lu. The smallest details of the story was worth keeping and you wouldn’t get bored reading it to the point that you might want to bring this even if you’re in the washroom. Hahaha!

Might as well read this one before its release in the big screen! Hoping this review help you to find out what’s the next book to read! xoxo
HUDZY
Currently Reading: A Storm of Swords
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hudzy.html

Post by HUDZY »

I'd have to agree with what others have been saying. I really enjoyed this book, but as the series continued the books just lost my interest. By the third book i had to really push to finish it!
Harsha
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsha.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Harsha »

I really enjoyed the book as it kept me at the edge of the chair and didn't let me turn the kindle off. Have fun reading the book!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”