Official Review: Past Ancient by Steve Edwards

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Official Review: Past Ancient by Steve Edwards

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Past Ancient" by Steve Edwards.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The year is 2028. Steve Bale and Kenneth Arnold, together with other scientists have been working on a time portal in Washington State. Steve, 44, served in the U.S. Navy Seals while Kenneth, 47, served in the U.S. Army Special Forces. To test the time portal, they had tirelessly worked on, a monkey named Ben is sent through it with a camera strapped around its waist. Their boss, Dr. Gosher, sets the time back to 548 B.C., as they estimated it would be secure. Everything goes well until Steve and Kenneth are sent through the time portal. Unaware of a machine fault, the duo is transported to a different time zone. They have to survive dangerous animals that have been extinct for millions of years.

When I read the description of the book that there was the inclusion of extinct animals, I hoped Edwards would go beyond the normalcy of typical fictional books – gunfights, culprits getting caught, and the protagonists being crowned heroes. I wanted the installment to feel like a movie, but alas!

I’m not sure where to start with the dislikes of Past Ancient by Steve Edwards. To begin with, the book is full of errors. In fact, I detected over 20 errors in the first nine pages of the book. The sentences are extremely poorly constructed, with some even repeated. Some minor errors would have been avoided by just fair proofreading.

Furthermore, there’s no preface, dedication, or a brief history about the author. The author did not even include his name in the entire publication, not once. Also, there were repeated instances of abbreviations whose meanings were unexplained. There were things included that the author would have avoided. For instance, on page 9, the writer says,” Once morning came, they got up and got ready for the day. They ate eggs for breakfast; then, they got their briefcases ready. They brushed their teeth, then got dressed.”

Nonetheless, there were two things worth praising of this work. Firstly, there lacked parlance. At least, I did not seek meanings of complex words from other sources. Secondly and finally, Steve Edwards brought into play animals that have been extinct for many years; he included animals like Eoraptor and Herrerasaurus.

I did not encounter erotic scenes or profanities. Nevertheless, the volume was not edited. For the errors and other aforementioned reasons, I rate the book 1 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to audiences who enjoy books with the theme of time travel; however, I’d prefer the work to go for thorough editing first.

Past Ancient
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This is really too bad you’re so disappointed by the book. That amount of errors is entirely unnecessary and could’ve been easily avoided. I hope the author can work on this and make the book a better version of itself.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

It looks like you read a draft rathere than the product of a serious editing job, so I can see why you're disappointed. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:

Post by Roy Nick »

Booklover Becca wrote: 10 May 2021, 19:14 This is really too bad you’re so disappointed by the book. That amount of errors is entirely unnecessary and could’ve been easily avoided. I hope the author can work on this and make the book a better version of itself.
The language employed is simple, and tale was easy to follow. However, the errors were a turn off. The unnecessary commas included slowed the book's pace.
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:

Post by Roy Nick »

NetMassimo wrote: 11 May 2021, 15:37 It looks like you read a draft rathere than the product of a serious editing job, so I can see why you're disappointed. Thank you for your honest review!
Great tale, but poor editing. Thank you for you comment. Should the author seriously edit the book, it'll be an amazing read.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”