Official Review: Creator's Children: The Rise of Astwihad

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Official Review: Creator's Children: The Rise of Astwihad

Post by J_odoyo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Creator's Children: The Rise of Astwihad" by Valerie Welsh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Valerie Welsh’s Creator’s Children: The Rise of Astwihad is a well-written and riveting science fiction book. While this first book in the Creator’s Children series speculates the existence of an alien race in other star systems in the Milky Way galaxy, it also mirrors how rogue scientists can plunge a whole galaxy into destruction. It’s a book that cogitates the possibility of an alien race inhabiting our planet Earth without humans’ knowledge.

An evil scientist (Faryn Kepler) has built a laboratory in one of the uninhabited moons of the Deneb star system. Through illegal DNA experiments, he has formed a soulless monster named Astwihad. The intelligent creature, when fully grown, kills his creator and begins his plans of cloning himself. After cloning enough soldiers, Astwihad attacks the Trident race using his technologically advanced armada, leaving no survivors in his wake—only prisoners kept for ineffable torture and food for his clones.

Galaxie—the guardian of the Milky Way galaxy and a descendant of the Sesheta race, the original immortal race by the Creator—is aware of Astwihad’s plan to perfect his interstellar drives to attack other star systems. Together with her partner, Solana, they seek the remnants of Trichina aliens on Earth to thwart the evil creature’s plan. However, she also has to convince humans and Trichinas living on Earth to seek help from the Waring aliens race inhabiting the Altair system to defeat Astwihad. Through her living spaceship called Solana, a Lathevain, she transports five Trichinas and two abducted human beings to the skies of the Altair system for a negotiation. Will the Waring race help humans? Will the humans trust aliens’ help? Grab your copy and find out.

Creator’s Children: The Rise of Astwihad is a captivating debut novel that reads like the work of an experienced author who has published many books over many years. Welsh transports you into a world of fantasy where just about anything can happen, where the highly praised Information Age on Earth is a Stone Age era, where the difference between magic and science is a mystery of its own, especially on the pages of a great book like this one. For instance, Solana is a living spaceship capable of traversing wormholes. A distance that would take Waring race several months to travel, Solana covers in just a matter of moments. She is a spaceship that talks and can translate anyone to her over long distances. On the other hand, both the Waring race and Astwihad views Earth, in its present state, as a primitive world without significant space travel technology—inhabited by a planet-bound race, barely touching their moon.

The book involves well-developed, pragmatic, and relatable characters. Astwihad is my least-liked character; he is an evil, selfish, and heartless creature who relishes the suffering of other creatures. He doesn’t care about his clones and kills them on a whim. Welsh has created a relatable protagonist in Galaxie, whose concern and love for the Milky Way galaxy made her not give a chance or give up on helping humans to save their planet. She colors her book with well-narrated backstories of many key characters. And this was my favorite aspect of this book. The book covers many poignant themes: Politics, science and technology, aliens, wars, and many more, not to mention elements of romance and women leadership.

Overall, the book is enjoyable and riveting; moreover, it was professionally edited; I found just a few minor errors. As far as negative is concerned, I didn't like how the book ended; many questions were left unanswered. However, I found out that there's a sequel to this book: Creator’s Children: Allies and Enemies. Potential readers of this book should be prepared to encounter a few vulgar words and light erotic content; therefore, it’s still a recommendable read for teenagers.

Creator’s Children: The Rise of Astwihad earns a dazzling 4 out of 4 stars. The book is well written, and a lower rating will be an outright injustice to its valuable content. Fans of science fiction and fantasy novels will enjoy this just as I did. Whether you read books in this genre to escape the mundane or enjoy the author’s intense technological speculation, this book is for you.

Creator's Children: The Rise of Astwihad
View: on Bookshelves
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

I'm intrigued by the aliens who view present-day earth as a primitive land. The thought of them living among us without our knowledge is even scarier.
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Fireside119 wrote: 13 May 2021, 05:39 I'm intrigued by the aliens who view present-day earth as a primitive land. The thought of them living among us without our knowledge is even scarier.
Indeed, that thought scared me too, but it's a nice story. Thanks for leaving your comment.
– Toni Morrison
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

You have definitely piqued my interest with your exciting review! A good plot that involves aliens and good characters are very appealing. Thank you for your recommendation!
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

Intriguing story! Thanks for a wonderful review of the book. It's unfortunate that many questions about the story remain unanswered. All the same, congratulations for the amazing review.
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

Seems quite interesting, exactly my type of novel. I'll add it to my long list. Thank you for the honest review!
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 13 May 2021, 08:26 You have definitely piqued my interest with your exciting review! A good plot that involves aliens and good characters are very appealing. Thank you for your recommendation!
Thanks for your kind comment.
– Toni Morrison
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Heidadela wrote: 13 May 2021, 09:42 Intriguing story! Thanks for a wonderful review of the book. It's unfortunate that many questions about the story remain unanswered. All the same, congratulations for the amazing review.
Thanks Heidadela.
– Toni Morrison
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Naaya123 wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:24 Seems quite interesting, exactly my type of novel. I'll add it to my long list. Thank you for the honest review!
Thanks Naaya, I bet you'll like it; it's a great story.
– Toni Morrison
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your informative review. While Galaxie's quest to defend the galaxy from Astwihad seems traditional, the concept of the living spaceship called Solana sounds intriguing. I like books with futuristic themes like this.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

It’s good the characters were all so well-developed and chilling to think the earth has been invaded and we wouldn’t even know. Thanks for the great review
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Everything about this book deeply intrigues me! Thanks for the amazing and detailed review, I'm definitely adding this book to my list.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

Initially, I thought this was a young adult novel but it's sophisticated and addresses important issues, so it looks like it's a great book for adults. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Rogue scientists and aliens destroying the galaxy - that is a dangerous mix! Astwihad sounds like an intriguing character who wreaks havoc on everyone. I was impressed with the way you described the author's descriptions. This sounds like a fascinating series. Great writing!
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

The review is believable and intriguing. I am eager to read the book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”