Official Review: The Lodestar by Daniel Hagedorn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Official Review: The Lodestar by Daniel Hagedorn

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lodestar" by Daniel Hagedorn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Eight brilliant minds created "the network," a vast virtual system to give every person the opportunity to become the best version of themselves in a world free of chaos and destruction. Inside the immense cybernetic environment, anything is possible. But is living in a world of illusion equal to the real thing?

David, one of the creators, had reservations about giving complete control to the virtual world. Still, it's hard to resist a reality where even the average person can obtain every dream and desire imaginable. Fourteen years after launching the network, he wanders through that world, trying to discover what remains of this former life. Caught between his dreams and desires, he searches for truth. What makes him different? Why does he remember things that others can't recall? Only one choice can lead him to the future he truly desires, but he'll have to navigate through the distractions of the network to make that reality a dream come true.

The Lodestar, by Daniel Hagedorn, is a science fiction journey exploring philosophical questions that examine virtual reality, human existence, and what it means to live a purposeful life. The author immediately pulls the reader into a world of mystery and mirage, a place that seems familiar yet strikingly different. As David wakes up with very few memories about his former way of life, readers get to join him in the search for the answers he seeks. I appreciated that David was a realistic character who loves music, coffee, and visiting the beach. He also feels overwhelmed by the differences between the world he once lived in and the world he finds himself currently occupying, making him an easily relatable character. The reader gets to experience his disorientation as he comes to terms with who he is and where he belongs in a high-tech world that is not what it seems.

While the style of writing was a little challenging to adjust to at first, I soon found myself pulled into the stream-of-consciousness flow that followed David's thoughts as he processed his everyday activities and philosophical musings. It was also a unique experience to read a book that had no chapters. The Lodestar consists of three parts that enclose the 250 pages comprising the novel. The plot was straightforward and primarily character-driven, with a bit more action in the final part. The author created suspense by adding characters like Marta, a mysterious coder; Star, a vibrant blonde who thrives in the network world; and Lando, the athletic co-worker and best friend to David. As the novel progressed, David had to remember who they represented from the real world and whether they were in the network to help him or harm him.

The virtual experiences were another creative part of the novel. David explored different virtual scenarios with both Marta and Star, and these two women revealed conflicting aspects of David's interests. Eventually, the reader discovers what Marta and Star each represent and the gravity of David's impending choice. I enjoyed the idea of experiencing anything you could imagine in the network, but I didn't like David's numerous comparisons of just the physical aspects of the two women. I would have appreciated more focus on their personalities and how they made David feel.

Overall, the book was engaging and thought-provoking, something to digest slowly rather than gobble up quickly. Unfortunately, I found more than ten typos throughout the book, which reduced my rating to 3 out of 4 stars. The Lodestar is a good read for those who enjoy finding deeper meaning under the story's surface or discovering various implications and ideologies. Readers may also be interested in the author's inclusion of Greek mythology and the clues these legends of old provided along David's journey. If you don't enjoy books that feature frequent social drinking or contain mild sexual promiscuity and the occasional expletive, this one may not be a good fit for you.

The Lodestar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

A very through review. It seems to be very interesting book. I would love to read the book.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The Greek Mythology clues for David's journey look interesting. Thanks for the insights.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

A virtual world sounds very interesting. I know I'd want to be a part of a world where I can be the best version of myself without any hindrances. Thank you for a lovely review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

It often feels like a future with extreme virtual reality like this isn’t far off. I hope the author fixes the errors you’ve mentioned because it sounds truly thought-provoking. Thanks for great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging novel that also offers food for thought centered around virtual reality, so I hope the author does another round of proofreading to make it excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”