Official Review: World Enough and Time by Harley Staggars

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: World Enough and Time by Harley Staggars

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "World Enough and Time" by Harley Staggars.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Haskell Yngren is having a bad night. First, he can’t stop staring at the pretty blonde across the bar, and he knows he’s about to get into trouble for it. Then, through a perfect combination of unfortunate events, he finds himself naked with his head stuck in a spittoon, being led through the torturous cold of the Minnesota winter by some drunk and disorderly law students. Although he’s unable to see where he’s going, he can still hear, and he hears the distinct sound of a car skidding on ice and heading straight toward him. But the most surprising events are still to come: this disaster results in him reuniting with his old flame, Jennifer, and being taken on a tour of parallel realities in both space and time.

World Enough and Time by Harley Staggars is a short novel that examines the claim that “within the constraints of physical laws, anything that can possibly happen can’t possibly not happen.” If something is possible, there exists a universe somewhere in which it is the reality. Once you die, you will be able to travel back and forth and even sideways through time to explore these different realities, eventually getting the chance to be reborn and lead a potentially different life the next time around. Although the concept of the book sounded intimidating to me and I was worried that I might not “get” it, I found the concepts and ideas to be very well explained. The assertions were accessible for any layperson to understand and appreciate.

There were lots of things that I loved about this book. The characters were fun and likable. I enjoyed both Haskell and Jennifer, as well as their relationship with each other. There was a lot of humor in the book. The author often addressed the reader directly with various asides, many of which made me laugh out loud. The story was also very intelligently written without feeling pretentious. It really got me thinking about the other possibilities that were out there. What if I had made a different choice at a pivotal, or even trivial, point in my life? What if outside circumstances had lined up differently around me to send me on a different track than I am on today? It’s fun to imagine that somewhere out there, there are other versions of me living those lives.

As far as the content of the book goes, I didn’t find anything to dislike. My only complaint has to do with the number of typos I noticed. Although most were minor punctuation errors that didn’t greatly alter my enjoyment of the story, I did notice more than ten. I would recommend that the author have the book professionally edited.

Overall, I found this story to be intriguing and fun to read. Due to the number of errors I noticed, I have to deduct a star and rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. If the typos were corrected, this could easily be a 4-star book. I would recommend this to anyone who appreciates a thought-provoking and humorous read. Those who don’t enjoy philosophical musings, even lighthearted and well-explained ones, might not enjoy this book as much as I did.

World Enough and Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

This book seems like it will present an interesting read. I will love to check it out. Great review.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Sounds like Haskell is really having a bad night. The book sounds promising. I will have to give it a shot. Thanks!
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MarveeAman »

Story sounds interesting and I always love humor in fantasy that's why I want to read this novel. Thanks for the review!
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

The combination of humor and the multiverse is quite unique, sounds interesting! Thanks for the lovely review.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

Science Fiction stories create more blissful moments than any other genre. Great review here.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

El_limitless wrote: 21 May 2021, 06:20 This book seems like it will present an interesting read. I will love to check it out. Great review.
I hope you enjoy it if you decide to read it. Thanks for your comment!

Laura Bach wrote: 21 May 2021, 07:30 Sounds like Haskell is really having a bad night. The book sounds promising. I will have to give it a shot. Thanks!
I hope you like it! Thanks for stopping by!

MarveeAman wrote: 21 May 2021, 08:18 Story sounds interesting and I always love humor in fantasy that's why I want to read this novel. Thanks for the review!
I hope you decide to check it out. Thanks for commenting!

MarianaFigueira wrote: 21 May 2021, 13:52 The combination of humor and the multiverse is quite unique, sounds interesting! Thanks for the lovely review.
Thank you for stopping by to comment!

Piece Nkem wrote: 23 May 2021, 07:36 Science Fiction stories create more blissful moments than any other genre. Great review here.
Thanks for commenting!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting variation on the theme of the alternate realities that offers a lot of fun and some food for thought. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I'm glad that you mentioned that it was explained in a way that made it easy to grasp as I have wondered before if I would be lost trying to follow a book dealing with multiple parallel universes. Thanks for your informative and interesting review!
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. Haskell's night sounds quite bizarre with all the strange experiences he had. I guess that's not just from being drunk.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Parralel worlds are hard to get sometimes. Great that the book made the concept simple to get. One choice van change everything. That's a great quote there. Thank you for a great review!
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful review.
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

As a science fiction lover, I would love to read this piece. You've done a wonderful job at reviewing this book.
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MarveeAman »

When I read "Philosophical musings," I knew it is my kind of book.I really enjoy philosophical books. Thanks for the recommendations.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

NetMassimo wrote: 23 May 2021, 13:57 This seems like an interesting variation on the theme of the alternate realities that offers a lot of fun and some food for thought. Thank you for your great review!
Thanks for commenting!

Prisallen wrote: 23 May 2021, 14:58 I'm glad that you mentioned that it was explained in a way that made it easy to grasp as I have wondered before if I would be lost trying to follow a book dealing with multiple parallel universes. Thanks for your informative and interesting review!
Yes, with these books I'm always worried I'll be left scratching my head, but this one was very easy to follow. Thanks for your comment!

Sou Hi wrote: 24 May 2021, 04:37 Thanks for your interesting review. Haskell's night sounds quite bizarre with all the strange experiences he had. I guess that's not just from being drunk.
Thank you for stopping by to comment!

Kavita Shah wrote: 24 May 2021, 10:56 Parralel worlds are hard to get sometimes. Great that the book made the concept simple to get. One choice van change everything. That's a great quote there. Thank you for a great review!
Thank you for commenting!

Mtibza eM wrote: 24 May 2021, 17:24 Thank you for sharing such a beautiful review.
Thank you for your comment!

Pallavi Lakra wrote: 26 May 2021, 09:30 As a science fiction lover, I would love to read this piece. You've done a wonderful job at reviewing this book.
Thank you for your comment and compliment!

MarveeAman wrote: 27 May 2021, 16:03 When I read "Philosophical musings," I knew it is my kind of book.I really enjoy philosophical books. Thanks for the recommendations.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did if you decide to read it!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”