Official Review: Void of Power by Andrew Raiford

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: Void of Power by Andrew Raiford

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Void of Power" by Andrew Raiford.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Because of the differences between the left and right political viewpoints in the United States, animosity spiraled out of control in the 2020s. This resulted in a civil war, referred to as the Cultural War, that went on for years. The war ended with a treaty in which government officials or agents were not allowed entrance to a section of the U.S. from the middle of Texas to Arizona, which was known as the Void. The only lawmen allowed there were the Texas Rangers. Over the next few decades, roving bandits and drug cartels made this area a perilous place to live. The residents had to work together for their mutual protection, and everyone carried guns. The intelligent and courageous Walsh family have lived in the Void and fought the bandits for years. Over time, with the help of several brilliant scientists, they have built extremely sophisticated weapons and fighter jets. They have become known as The Defender.

Over the years, gifted children began to emerge in the U.S. The government, afraid of their powers and also wanting to study them, started capturing these children and their parents and imprisoning them. Two children with exceptional talents, Coraline and Eli, have come to the government’s attention. They break into their home, kill the father, and abduct the mother. Coraline and Eli escape and head into the Void. In spite of the treaty, the government sends troops after them with orders to capture or kill them (even if it means initiating a war with the residents). The Walsh family and the Rangers are their only hope for salvation.

Void of Power: New Generation showcases Andrew C. Raiford’s vivid imagination, which is impressive. He has constructed a believable and intriguing fictional reality that will have the reader mesmerized from the beginning to the end of the book. Mr. Raiford possesses a gift for writing in an easy-to-understand, descriptive, and realistic way. His thrilling tale is narrated from the third-person point of view, so the reader can comprehend what both the protagonists and the antagonists are undertaking. The main characters are well described, each with their own distinctive personality, which makes them believable and relatable.

The action begins right away with Alex Walsh getting into trouble and fleeing for his life from a group of well-armed pursuers. The breaks that occur in the action give the reader much-needed breathers as they are setting up the following suspenseful scenes, which builds to a thrilling climax. All the major questions are resolved, so it can be read as a standalone novel. However, a clue as to what a sequel will be about is given at the end of the book.

Void of Power: New Generation achieves three out of four stars. It is with a heavy heart that I had to take away a star because of encountering more than ten errors. Most of these are minor, with a lot having to do with missing or misused commas. If the book went through another round of editing, and the errors were cleaned up, I think it would deserve the full rating as I absolutely loved everything else about it. Subsequently, it is enthusiastically recommended to readers who enjoy enthralling science fiction and fantasy novels with lots of action. Personally, I eagerly look forward to reading the sequel.

Sensitive readers need to be aware that there are profanities (usually mild) and violence in the story. In addition, rape was alluded to in the novel but was not described in detail.

Void of Power
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

What a cruel world! Why kill their father? I hope they made I alive. Thanks for an insightful review and recommendations.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

A book about a civil war emanating from the difference in political viewpoints will be interesting to read. Great review.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

A book about a civil war emanating from the difference in political viewpoints will be interesting to read. Great review.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

Another important documentation on the political atmosphere of the US. I'm drawn.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Sounds great, it's really a shame the editing wasn't the best. Thanks for the wonderful review.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 22 May 2021, 17:38 What a cruel world! Why kill their father? I hope they made I alive. Thanks for an insightful review and recommendations.
These were cruel people they were dealing with. Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

El_limitless wrote: 23 May 2021, 06:29 A book about a civil war emanating from the difference in political viewpoints will be interesting to read. Great review.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my review and comment!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Piece Nkem wrote: 23 May 2021, 06:51 Another important documentation on the political atmosphere of the US. I'm drawn.
It reminded me of the great divide in our parties right now, which probably won't improve soon. I hope you get a chance to read it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 23 May 2021, 20:51 Sounds great, it's really a shame the editing wasn't the best. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Yes, it saddened me not to be able to give it the highest score. Thanks for the comments!
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It sounds like a great story. The Void is the only hope for Coraline and Eli- that always turns out to be an engaging tale. I would love to read this book. Thank you for a great review!
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

An action-packed, suspenseful, and thrilling tale that culminates in a thrilling climax. What's not to love? Thanks for sharing.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kavita Shah wrote: 24 May 2021, 10:46 It sounds like a great story. The Void is the only hope for Coraline and Eli- that always turns out to be an engaging tale. I would love to read this book. Thank you for a great review!
I hope you get a chance to read it; I think you would enjoy it! Thanks for the comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Buk Nerd wrote: 25 May 2021, 06:10 An action-packed, suspenseful, and thrilling tale that culminates in a thrilling climax. What's not to love? Thanks for sharing.
I agree! It truly is an intriguing book. I hope you get a chance to read it!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel that uses science fiction elements to address important issues, so I hope the author does another round of proofreading to make it excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”