Official Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Official Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nimue" by Ayn Cates Sullivan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan is a treat in fantasy fiction. The third in the Legends of the Grail series, this novel stands on its own. I never had the feeling that I had missed previous volumes when reading it. This award-winning author tells a magical and spellbinding tale of intrigue and love that transcends the physical world and steps into the magic of the spiritual realm.

A few years after losing her father, seventeen-year-old Nina and her mother travel to England. It is sure to be different than life in America, but the change will be good for them. As Nina explores and finds out more about England's past, she discovers more about her family. A strange visit to a healer mystifies her, but she knows she hasn't imagined things when she finds out that her friend Owen is missing. Will her connection to the past help her understand more? Will Merlin be freed? You'll have to read the book to find out!

I love how this book delves into the depths of Celtic and Arthurian legends while entertaining the reader with a storyline that intertwines itself with magical destinations and historical places. The plot of this book reveals a writer who has spent considerable time with research and study. One of the most positive points about this book is how well-developed the characters are. They act out a drama that ties timelines and generations together in a twisting tale involving legendary characters such as Merlin and his sister Morgan Le Fey.

The story is told in the first person from Nina's perspective. A third of the way through the book, the perspective changes from Nina to that of another. I found the transition to be jarring, and it caused the book to go from immersive to feeling disjointed for a time as I acquainted myself with a different main character's viewpoint. This aspect was the only negative about the book.

As a descendant from this heritage, I have always been fascinated by Celtic legends and lore. I was raised on the tales borne of folklore and history. I always loved stories based on and around the ancient and mysterious. The more ancient and mysterious, the better I considered the story. That is what attracted me to this book, and I was not disappointed.

This book is edited exceptionally well. I found no errors. Romance is an essential part of the story with mildly explicit scenes, and I would rate them at three on a scale between one and ten. Therefore, I believe this book to be suited to a mature audience. The book is free of profanity. I enjoyed reading this story and look forward to more from this author. For these reasons, I rate this book with 4 out of 4 stars. The changing point of view was not enough to cause a reduction in rating.

The world of ancient religions, cults, gods, and goddesses is very much a part of this story. This book may be better for open-minded readers with the ability to see past some of the book's references to the Christian religion as a cult and other references to religion that some readers may find displeasing. I enthusiastically recommend it to readers who love an entertaining story that takes you back into the mists of Avalon, where time and history weave together with the present.

Nimue
View: on Bookshelves
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

My first impression was that this is a young adult series but a certain level of eroticism and some complex themes such as the religious references suggest otherwise. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

The book sounds incredible and having it focused on the arthurian legends makes it even more interesting. I'll definitely have to check this out.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

I don't know very much about Celtic folklore, so this seems like it'd be a great read to help me delve more into those legends! Thanks for the great review.
Adelee Grobler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelee-grobler.html
Latest Review: Hemiphos by Stefanie Jacob
Reading Device: B0979KD57W

Post by Adelee Grobler »

This sounds like an amazing romance read! I find it strange that the narrative changes later in the book however I don’t think it will throw me off completely. I’m also open-minded and find other people's views interesting therefore I’ll be adding them to my bookshelves. Thank you for your review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

As someone that still believes in the Old Gods, I am fascinated with this book. Thanks for a great review
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

Nina's story seems quite intriguing to me and as it is a fantasy fiction novel I'll definitely like it. The reviewer has explained the plot splendidly in the review. Thank-you.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Well, learning that the book lies within the fantasy genre is not a surprise, given that the cover art is designed using THAT style. I think the premise of the novel is quite common BUT also quite intriguing. I congratulate the author for Book of the Day!
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 812
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

This is an intriguing fantasy story with romance, secrets and magic that will keep the readers glued to the end.
Thanks for this thorough and wonderful review. :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

I don't have much idea about Celtic and Arthurian legends so I'll thoroughly enjoy reading about them. I'm quite interested to see what lies ahead of Nina. Thanks for the detailed review!
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

This book is a treat in fantasy fiction. This book is written by an award-winning author who tells a magical and spellbinding tale of intrigue and love that transcends the physical world and steps into the magic of the spiritual realm.
The review is superb.
Congratulations on Botd 🎉
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. I wonder what role Merlin and his sister Morgan Le Fey play in Nina's story.
Stephen Ikimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-ikimi.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Stephen Ikimi »

The review is detailed and interesting.
The book which is one of the young adult series of romance and magic secrets is a good read for all young people. Thanks and congratulations for the review
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I've always been fascinated by Celtic legends. I'd love to find out if Merlin will be freed. Congrats on BOTD!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Kanika Tandon
Currently Reading: Of winners and losers
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanika-tandon.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Kanika Tandon »

A romantic fiction that has elements of ancient mysticism and lore. By the premise the book sounds quite fascinating. I come from the land that is built on these aspects. The more ancient the better. Also my knowledge of Celtic folklore is miniscule so I would love to know more about this. Your review presents all pointers that seem to be important for a reader to make a choice of reading or passing, so great job there. I would love to get my hand on it and review it if I get a chance.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”