Official Review: Ískló

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Official Review: Ískló

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ískló" by Clifford James Hayes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What was meant to be a fun day out together stealing eggs, turned out to be Olafur’s worst day ever. He had only turned away for a second when a dragon came swooping down and took hold of Friorika, crushing her to death. It only got worse from that point on. Olafur’s whole village had to evacuate when Grimurfang, the ice dragon lord, was threatening to kill them all. With the help of a witch, the villagers might have a chance of survival. But what happens when an elderly dragon asks for help from the humans in protecting Grimurfang’s firstborn? Will the villagers put aside their differences and help the dragonling? Isklo: A Dragon Tale by Clifford James Hayes takes readers on an icy adventure.

Witches, evil dragons, and heroes, this book has it all. At first, I was hesitant in reading it because I wasn’t sure if I would enjoy it. But to my surprise, I enjoyed every moment of it! The story is told from the third-person perspective, which allowed me to have an insight into the character’s thoughts and feelings.

I also like that the book doesn’t include your typical fire-breathing dragons. Instead, the ones in the book breathe ice. This added twist makes the story more fascinating and unique. Messages of loving others, despite the way they look, can be learned from this book. Olafur didn’t judge the little dragonling for its looks or its reputation.

My favourite character would have to be Eydis. I loved the witches’ sense of humour and her witty remarks. Whilst there really is no main character in the book, to me, she was the protagonist. It’s inspiring to see a strong female character leading the villagers of men.

There was nothing I disliked about the book. If it had to be improved, then I would have liked to read more interactions between Olafur and Isklo. In the book, we are told the human and dragon became inseparable, but we are not shown this. Regardless of this, the book was pleasant to read. I finished reading it in one sitting because it was so good.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was a great read. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading fantasy books. Since there is a lot of violence, it would not be appropriate for children. I didn’t find any mistakes, so it is professionally edited.

Ískló
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

A good number of fantasy creatures with a twist! Thanks for such a good review:D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

Sounding exciting !! Dragons always makes books fascinating. Thanks for the review. Adding in my bookshelf.☺️
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

Ice-breathing dragons are not very common! Thank you for the review :)
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing variation on the theme of dragons, which in this case is used to offer a positive message. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”