Review of To The Stars: Defiant

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Review of To The Stars: Defiant

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "To The Stars: Defiant" by William C Bragg.]
Book Cover
0 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is the year 2143. Man is far advanced in technology that they can freely travel outside Earth. Although the Ark was slow to give up its secrets, humanity hugely benefited from its discovery. The hardsuit, the skinsuit, and the star map were some of the things humanity gained from the Ark. Of these things, the most important is the warning - War is coming, and you are not ready.

To The Stars: Defiant by William C. Bragg is a futuristic, science fiction. This book is about humanity's war against all beings that like to eliminate them from this planet and beyond. Humans will encounter diverse species from across space, and they should be wary of who is an ally and who is an enemy. They should distinguish who needs help and who needs to be evaded.

I appreciate how the author patterned the characters to the real world. For example, he vividly described how loyal a K9 is to his handler. He will protect him/her until the very end. He also highlighted the strong desire of man to help those in need while protecting their own fiercely. I also like that the author wrote strong-willed and brilliant female characters. They are not the principal characters, but they were equally important. More so, I only found a handful of errors that made me believe this is edited professionally.

To say this is a war book is an understatement. And that alone is something I dislike in Defiant. It talks about the war from top to bottom. I only saw glimpses of the characters outside the war, and it is not enough to draw attachment to any of them. I also like to point out that the author’s writing style demands utmost focus and substantial galactic knowledge. It pains me to admit that it took great effort to remain on track. In the end, my desire to see how it all ended drove me to finish it. Was the Defiant able to outrun the enemy? Or was the Defiant lost in space? Or was the Defiant able to win in the end, despite the numerous lives that were lost? I pushed myself, hoping that the efforts and the sacrifices of the crew were not in vain.

In summary, I rate To The Stars: Defiant 3 out of 4 stars mainly because the author was unable to draw me in the story. I read the book, but I was never in the book. But that does not mean that other readers will have the same experience. Fans of Star Wars, Star Trek, Guardians of the Galaxy, and all the other movies and books about alien invasion and outer-space exploration, will enjoy this.

To The Stars: Defiant
View: on Bookshelves
sunny4life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunny4life.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by sunny4life »

As a fan of the aforementioned franchises, I think I'd like to give this a shot. Well curated review.
scaryeyes_25

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

:no-spoil:
sunny4life wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 03:28 As a fan of the aforementioned franchises, I think I'd like to give this a shot. Well curated review.
Thank you for dropping by. I hope you have a better experience than me.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

It would be interesting to look into the future and know what life in the next century will look like. I love the review; it's comprehensive enough. Well done.
scaryeyes_25

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

El_limitless wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 01:07 It would be interesting to look into the future and know what life in the next century will look like. I love the review; it's comprehensive enough. Well done.
Thank you for the kind words.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”