Review of New Light

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Review of New Light

Post by Rayah Raouf »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "New Light" by Scott A McDowell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

New Light is the first book in a series written by Scott A. McDowell. It is a fantasy book with elements of mild sci-fi and a lot of adventure. The events take place in a dystopian world where three races exist. The races consist of the humans, the Xerua, and the powerful Tyranelle. However, not everything is as it seems. There is also a short story that takes place before the main story. It helps give you a general idea of what to expect.

There are three POVs in the book: Isabel, Lans, and Saul. Isabel works in a bar and is related to one of the characters in the short story. She is infatuated with Lans even though he does not reciprocate her feelings. Lans doesn’t feel like he belongs and hates everybody. He is considered to be bloodthirsty and believes he is a monster. Saul is a paladin to The Light. He converses with his god in his mind and believes in the righteous path.

Lans is nearly killed after a battle occurs with the Unspeakables. He is saved by both Isabel, Judis, and a Tyranelle named Giddeon. Due to a vision seen by Giddeon and Saul, they set out on a journey to get answers. Throughout the journey, they come across Lans mother, weirdly shaped Unspeakables, and a reason to fight. The ultimate goal is for the humans and the Xerua to take over what the Tyranelle have taken from them.

The author does an incredible job when it comes to storytelling and providing background information. The author managed to explain all the races and the hierarchy of the races very clearly. I loved the short story at the beginning of the book. I thought it did a great job to lure me in. I enjoyed the authors writing and how he presented the characters. Lans was an extremely interesting character. I think he might be my favorite so far. I also liked the way the battles were written, and I was literally on the edge of my seat.

There was nothing I disliked about the content or the writing. I loved every single page of the book. However, it would have been great if there was a map. Other than that, I have absolutely no complaints about the book. The book was also professionally edited as I hardly found any errors.

This is a start to a great trilogy, and I gladly give it 4 out of 4 stars. The end left me surprised, and I would very much like to know what happens next. I cannot wait to pick up the next book.

I would recommend New Light to those who enjoy fantasy books. I do believe it is on the heavy side when it comes to fantasy due to the different races. There is nothing explicit in terms of content, but there is profanity present and a few brutal scenes. I would recommend this to more mature readers; however, I believe older teenagers could also read this book if the plot interests them.

New Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

This seems like my kind of book, and the surprising ending makes it even more appealing. Thank you for your catchy review!
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Everything about this book is otherworldly.
I hope the author's description of the world is enough to help us imagine the setting without a map.
Thank you for your review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 02:41 This seems like my kind of book, and the surprising ending makes it even more appealing. Thank you for your catchy review!
Oh gosh, I LOVED this book. The ending in particular has left me thinking about it for a few days now. Thank you!
Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 03:27 Everything about this book is otherworldly.
I hope the author's description of the world is enough to help us imagine the setting without a map.
Thank you for your review.
Thank you :) The description is enough actually without the map. I just thought it would be a great extra touch. Nonetheless, its an incredible read :)
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

I like that the author introduced new races like the Xura and Tyranelle. That is something I would like to read about. The characters also seem interesting and it's a plus that the author included their multiple POVs.
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

I am sucker for science fiction and fantasy. This book is sure my type. Nicely reviewed. Thank you for your hard work.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

A dystopian trilogy! I need to read this one. Thank you for such a good review.:D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Mirriam N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Mirriam N »

I would recommend New light book to book readers lovers, mostly to those who wanna know about different Races. The races consist of the humans, the Xerua, and the powerful Tyranelle. I know people would like to know about that, me included. Thank you for the Review. 🤗
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Fireside119 wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 03:46 I like that the author introduced new races like the Xura and Tyranelle. That is something I would like to read about. The characters also seem interesting and it's a plus that the author included their multiple POVs.
Yes! I always love it when there are different races! I find it so interesting!
sharon titus wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 09:54 I am sucker for science fiction and fantasy. This book is sure my type. Nicely reviewed. Thank you for your hard work.
Same here! I love sci-fi and fantasy. Thank you for the kind words.
The frant1c reader wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 14:56 A dystopian trilogy! I need to read this one. Thank you for such a good review.:D
Hopefully you enjoy it! Thank you :D
Mirriam N wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 18:13 I would recommend New light book to book readers lovers, mostly to those who wanna know about different Races. The races consist of the humans, the Xerua, and the powerful Tyranelle. I know people would like to know about that, me included. Thank you for the Review. 🤗
Thank you :) It is a very good read.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

This is a beautiful review, thank you for sharing.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

It seems like there was a lot going on in this short story. I like the elements you mentioned, so I'll add it to my list. Thanks for your review!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Mtibza eM wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 13:11 This is a beautiful review, thank you for sharing.
Thank you :)
Jagiine wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 21:20 It seems like there was a lot going on in this short story. I like the elements you mentioned, so I'll add it to my list. Thanks for your review!
Thank you! It is a fantastic read!
G_CReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-creads.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by G_CReads »

I love this review.. You made it clear.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I value character-driven stories very much and would love to check a good fantasy-sci-fy book out :) This one seems to be good :) Thanks for a great review!
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

It is great that the story was well-developed without explicit themes. Thanks for a good review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”