Review of Spaceship Earth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review of Spaceship Earth

Post by SamaylaM »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spaceship Earth" by Tory Ireland Mell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever admired the glittering vastness of space? Several planets, countless stars, asteroids, the sun, the moon, and so many more particles exist there. But, how much are we unaware of regarding space? Simon Gunslinger wonders about space a lot and plans to find out more. He especially questions about an end to space. In the fast-paced sci-fi/fantasy book below, we get to read about an epic voyage of 1000 humans through space.

Spaceship Earth by Tory Ireland Mell is a fascinating and unique literary work spanning over 134 pages. The story starts with a hint that humanity will soon be perishing on Earth. Thus, a determined individual named Simon Gunslinger plans to construct a starship in space. The ship is designed to be built almost as big as the Earth’s core to accommodate 1000 of Earth’s most brilliant people. The mission becomes for the ship and its passengers to travel in one direction for the unforeseeable future. It will go on until they find out whether there is an end to space. As they venture on this journey to the unknown, years will pass, generations will arise, and advances will be made to the ship. But, the end might not be what anyone envisioned.

I liked a lot of elements in this book. The narrative of the story was crafted brilliantly. The author gave numerous scientific explanations for a lot of questions that a reader might have when reading about an infinite space voyage. But, the explanations did not sound dull at all. There were remarkable plot twists, which I did not see coming. It definitely made my reading experience interesting. In fact, the ending was probably my favorite part of the book. It was both creative and climatic.

However, the poor thing about this book was character development. There were multiple time-lapses of years because of the vast journey. Due to this, character developments were not shown properly and were only told plainly. There were also sudden switches in points of view of characters, which was a little confusing. If the story was in the third person point of view and the characters were developed gradually, I would have enjoyed it more. I also spotted errors in spelling, editing, and punctuations.

In conclusion, I would rate Spaceship Earth by Tory Ireland Mell with 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted one star due to the aforementioned reasons. It did not get a 2 star because the plot, creativity, and originality were greatly written. This book slightly reminded me of the movie Passengers and the television show Ancient Aliens due to its setting. So, anyone who enjoyed those two might enjoy this book as well. I will recommend this book to readers of the sci/fi-fantasy and adventure genre, as they will really appreciate this read.

Spaceship Earth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Space voyage? I'm in!
I watched Passengers a few years ago, and when you mentioned it I was also reminded of Outlaw Star. Outlaw Star is an anime series that I always confuse with Cowboy Bebop. Both were very popular in my time.
Thanks for your review. I'm thinking of reading this book someday.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love a good book about space! Too bad about the character development, but the book still seems appealing. Thank you very much for your wonderful recommendation!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I love a good sci-fi book. Of course, the lack of character development is an issue but I think I still wouldn't mind checking this book out. Thank you for the incredible review :)
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

Lovers of science fiction will enjoy the characters' journey to space, coupled with the challenge of building and running a spaceship.
Asmaa Saber
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaa-saber.html
Latest Review: Faith To Freedom by Dr Keith L Marshall, PsyD, MHD

Post by Asmaa Saber »

Your review triggers me to read it. I like sci.fiction literature in general and I have a good feeling I will love this one too. Thanks for your summarizing review 🙏
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

I am fascinated by the wonders of outer space and this book is of my taste. Great informative review. Thank you for your hard work.
Aljun Jalandoni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Aljun Jalandoni »

A decent space novel is one of my favorite genres. The novel appears to be fascinating despite the lack of character development. Thank you very much for such a wonderful recommendation!
Kanchan Bhil
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-bhil.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Kanchan Bhil »

Your review of the book is interesting enough for me to want to read the book. The comparison that you have given about the movie and the television show made me think about watching them. Thank you for this wonderful review! I definitely want to read the book.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I'm not sure if I would I choose to perish or to be part of the 1000 in the spaceship? Your review is really enticing! Great job!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I've always wondered about space. This book seems to have all the information I need. I've added it to the list of books I'll read at a later date. Great review.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I always think that the most important things that make a good book are the elements of surprise and good characters. According to your review, this book succeeds in one but fails in the other. I am not a big fan of space travel, but I enjoyed reading your review anyway. Thanks for your detailed work!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

1000 of the most brilliant people on earth? Guess who's not on-board! 😂 Interesting book and terrific review!
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

The concept of an infinite journey across space is a daring one. Glad to read that the author provides possible answers to the myriad of questions that arise from such a scenario. Thank you for a lovely review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I don't think this is a book for me. My position is that the characters have to be well developed. Thanks for the good and unbiased review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”