Review of Zots and Xoodles II: Theodil Creates Life

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Review of Zots and Xoodles II: Theodil Creates Life

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Zots and Xoodles II: Theodil Creates Life" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The second book in the series, Zots and Xoodles II: Theodil Creates Life, by Zarqnon the Embarrassed commences with Theodil standing before a committee again. This time, not only is the universe he previously created under scrutiny but his attempts at creating life out of nothing but Xoodles are also questioned too. We follow Theodil each step of the way, with the crowd in the story continuously moving from doubting the possibility of creating a universe and life to disputing his methods, as they were "determined not to see what they were determined not to believe." Will Theodil be successful in his endeavors?

At just 65 pages, the story is an easy, humorous read that explores themes around the origin of life, science, determination, and confidence in one's own ability, and it has certain similarities with the creation story from the Bible. The author presents a few thought-provoking random thoughts before the story begins revolving around the difference between a life form and being alive and his consistent need to challenge what is normal, and in a lot of ways, the main character of this story, Theodil, is similar. I grew attached to his constant need to push himself, even beyond the crowd's expectations, and his ability to apply unorthodox methods in his creation, which agitated the crowd even more.

The book contains a few eye-catching illustrations by Frank Louis Allen included at different phases of the creation process, from the intertwining of Xoodles and the expansion of the universe to particle bonding and cell replication.

"A flicker and a dash, the beta-clusters slip from the pockets where they were tucked, and the darkness pours out her milk as she paints the universe with a gentle glaze. The hubris coagulates as gentle novas form. Simple foam gives rise to temporal giants - simple, glorious, and grotesque." - Page 23

Another aspect of the book I thoroughly enjoyed was how poetic the author was in his description and how well he captured every detail of the entire process. A good example can be seen in the paragraph above describing Theodil's creation of a universe.

Furthermore, Zots and Xoodles II: Theodil Creates Life is a professionally edited book. I found just two errors while reading, and they were easy to read through. I cannot think of anything I dislike about this book. Therefore, I rate Zots and Xoodles II: Theodil Creates Life a well-deserved four out of four stars. The book makes you think by raising a few intriguing questions. If you're interested in science and philosophy, you will enjoy this book.

Zots and Xoodles II: Theodil Creates Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

The cover page overwhelms me. I can't figure it out, but the story line sounds interesting and Theodil sounds like a determined individual. Awesome review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I have read book 1. I didn't easily understand it but it looked so creative. Book 2 sounds like Theodil is building the universe. In a unique way, Theodil created life from Zots and Xoodles. Thank you for a great review!
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

I agree this is a good book from the overview though I was a little bit lost and I should read both the first and second book. Poetic descriptions also make the writing vibrant and I can't wait to start reading the book.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

This sounds interesting. Lovers of stories on fiction creation will find it enjoyable. Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read the first book and it was fascinating and highly imaginative. I'm glad that its sequel is as good, so I'll read it for sure. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

I have just finished the first book, Of Zots and Xoodles: Theodil Creates a Universe," and thoroughly enjoyed it. I disliked the tiny print on Kindle, though, so I'm considering purchasing a copy of his second book. I'm just a little undecided. Perhaps I'll stick to the Kindle and buy a magnifying glass! haha 

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”