Review of Rone Isa

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of Rone Isa

Post by Kennedy NC »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rone Isa" by Robin Murarka.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Much has been said about the possibilities of artificial intelligence in the future. Most computers and machines, which presently exist, are able to perform their functions by means of specific instructions and algorithms. However, what would it feel like to create a "thinking machine"? How would you react if a machine was developed that closely mirrored your human capabilities in terms of independence, self-awareness, and critical thinking?

Rone Isa, by Robin Murarka, is a science-fiction novel that explores this exciting possibility. The book centers on Enoya, a novel creation by the main character in the book, Dargaud. This machine is unlike all other machines that we are accustomed to in contemporary times. This is initially evident by the fact that she picks a name for herself.

As the plot progresses, we see this machine exhibit extraordinary self-awareness and critical thinking. Contrary to what we know about machines and computers, she has feelings and desires. One such desire is the desire to go on existing by protecting her hardware. This is very similar to the survival instinct in man. After Enoya cracks one of the significant crime mysteries involving the Tokama children, Dargaud's life is radically transformed for the better. However, time will tell whether this novel creation is ultimately a blessing or a curse on humanity.

This book has a few positive aspects. The plot is unique and intriguing, sure to capture the reader's attention. The possibility of interacting with a machine that possesses human attributes will surely engross the readers and keep their attention till the end of this book. Also, despite the extensive length of this book, I found only a few errors. This was proof that the book was professionally edited.

However, this book is not without negative points. Firstly, I did not appreciate the accentuated cynicism and offensive behaviour that Dargaud exhibited on various occasions. On one such occasion, while at a Chinese restaurant, he overhears a lady discussing with another lady over the phone and calls them "f****g retarded pigs." Also, the language of this book was laced with too much complexity that it bordered on becoming superfluous. It seemed that in a bid to make the machine, Enoya, appear intelligent, the author succeeded in lacing most of her thoughts with an impenetrable complexity that was not endearing. Also, this book had too many instances of vulgarity.

Because of all the negative points stated above, I rate Rone Isa 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give this book a lower rating because the plot was still captivating and unique. I recommend this book to all lovers of science fiction with a keen interest in machines and artificial intelligence. However, this book is also laced with some explicit sexual scenes, which some readers may find disturbing.

Rone Isa
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

This sounds like an intriguing book, although I am not sure how I feel about the language issues you described. I will have to have a look, perhaps. I must admit, I was drawn to this book by the book cover, which I think is very well done.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I like books about AI and this one sounds very intriguing. The cover is extremely beautiful, which was the reason why I wanted to check this book out in the first place. I guess I have to give it a try and see if it's for me. Great review!
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

This sounds like a very interesting book. From reading this piece, I guess I will find out if artificial intelligence is truly the future.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Rone Ira, She's a robot with survival instincts. That will be either excellent or destructive. You've written a great review and the intro is thought provoking.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

I can't seem to help but think of dangerous consequences and would like to know the author's idea! Thanks for such a beautiful review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I have always believed that AI would be a great attribute to society, there are, however, times when thinking about it freaks me out. I still love the possibility and would love to read this book.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel contains some interesting themes that might be the evolution of our current situation, though right now there are a lot of discussions about artificial intelligence but mimicking human attributes still seems far away. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”