Review of Constelis Voss Vol. 1: Colour Theory

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Review of Constelis Voss Vol. 1: Colour Theory

Post by Dimi1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Constelis Voss Vol. 1: Colour Theory" by K. Leigh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Constellis Voss Vol.1 Colour Theory by K. Leigh is a science fiction story on a repressive dystopia mixing real-life coefficients to an unreal, alien, and futuristic world, where survey and hopeless objects mix with their inspectors with an unknown outcome. Alex is the book’s central character. He’s the survey object but also an administrator or “a predator of the predators” in this strange world. Other characters enter the scenery taking the role of his controller, his helper, or even his headrest although roles’ distinguishing lines seem to fade away as the chapters pass, and colors within the lines mix.

The story leaves cliffhangers at the end of each chapter, which are new facts to be explored. The particular aspect is very engaging and should be credited as one of the book’s advantages. In addition, the book seems like an anime written as a novel. I particularly liked this touch. The author seems to have full control of the strings to pull by managing to balance between anime images that the reader can surely imagine as the lines pass and a vivid wording that captures the moment. As a side effect, one can see a gradual increase of psychological and pure violence, mystery, or even latent erotism as new characters enter the plot and the situations perplex. This last one, i.e., the gradual entering of new elements, is also an interesting touch that will appeal to readers. Lastly, the book has only a few errors and seems well edited.

On the other hand, I consider that more effort should be put into the connection between cause and effect in the story. Keeping in mind that it’s a novel and not a comic, it seems that some things are happening due to Alex’s rage on the system, but I feel that this hatred against the regime is not fully substantiated. Moreover, the plot till some point seems to lead to a certain climax to the point where the author clarifies, via interfering in the story, that practically it’s the journey that matters not the end. Later on, the particular practice, i.e., author’s interference, seems to also be followed to justify decisions or actions. This practice, although innovative, seems a bit strange and unnecessary for a typical sci-fi book or any novel in general. I consider the last one a minor drawback given that the author has the freedom to just add more pages in the story if she thinks that a plot gap needs to be filled.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for being an innovative entrance to the sci-fi novel providing a fresh look. The lack of some more pages and the author’s interference to justify the climax or the decisions taken don’t seem important to negatively rate the book. On the contrary, given that the request is for more pages to be added to the story, I consider it a reason to not deduct any star from such a well-written story.

This book is appropriate for adults only due to its violent content and vulgar language. The casual reader might read it but not the one that is offended by such content.

Constelis Voss Vol. 1: Colour Theory
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Thanks for the review. I don’t think this is the book for me, but I’ll bet that others will really enjoy it. It seems to be very suspenseful.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

I love this genre. Dystopy. Your review has got me excited to read this book. Thank you for such a great review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I love dystopias, it's my favorite genre. This seems like an entertaining story filled with interesting characters. Will be reading this book for sure. Thanks for this amazing review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I loved the originality of the book you described, and I am very curious to discover all its mysteries. Thank you for this recommendation and congratulations for your amazing review!
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

I do like animes but not so much interested in extraterrestrial life forms so I am going to pass on this one. Thanks for an interesting review though! :)
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

My only problem is that I'm not sure I feel like reading a dystopic novel right now, as this one seems well-constructed and engaging. I'll look into this series for a moment when I'm in the right mood. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

This book sounds like a well-written dystopian book.
Perhaps whenever I am in the mood, I will pick it up.
Thanks for a well written review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

This book seems to be written very well. I might give it a try. Great review!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book sounds really interesting. I definitely want to read this. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

Sounds interesting, but I don't believe this book is one for me. Thanks for the great review.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

I do not like the idea of the author butting in to explain things that typically wouldn't need explaining. To be honest, when you said that it's like an anime in text, I was afraid the characters would overexplain things (something that I grow weary of in a lot of anime because it feels patronizing when not done well), but the author interjecting such explanations feels absolutely unacceptable to me unless it's done satirically. The material should simply be written well enough that its average reader can easily follow what's going on and why it's happening and then make their own conclusions about it.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”