Review of Constelis Voss Vol. 2: Pattern Recognition

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Review of Constelis Voss Vol. 2: Pattern Recognition

Post by Sou Hi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Constelis Voss Vol. 2: Pattern Recognition" by K. Leigh.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Constelis Voss Vol. 2: Pattern Recognition by K. Leigh is the second part of a sci-fi trilogy. You will have to read the first installment to understand the plot.

Our story is set in the distant future, where even androids possess feelings. Our main character, Alex, is one of those robots. When his friends are in trouble, he and his companion, Olivia, decide to save them. In order to do that, the duo needs to employ whatever and whoever they can find, including Diana and Markov. The only issue is that Diana is the woman who betrayed Alex's group. Meanwhile, Markov is the man who broke his heart. To make things more complicated, Olivia confesses that she and Alex were a couple before he lost his memory. How should Alex deal with this situation? Can he forgive the traitors and rely on them? What about Olivia's love for him?

My most favorite aspect of the book is that the cast's developments are pretty good and realistic. For instance, the readers can practically feel Alex's rage when he threatens to hurt someone he loves. Despite being drunk, he sobers up instantly upon the shocking sight of his bedroom. His reactions and emotions are very similar to those of real-life humans. They make him alive and not just a fictional character or a machine.

Still, I don't really enjoy the scene transitions. For example, Alex is getting ready to sleep in his apartment. Without a warning, the very next paragraphs show that he is somewhere else with Maya. Another one is the case of Diana/Moira. These scenes perplexed me, as I couldn't tell the past and the present apart. I had to go back to check if there was something missing along the way. In addition, the names can be quite confusing. Olivia can be Olive, Liv, Livvie, or even Maya. Frankly, I had a hard time trying to tell if all of those people were the same person.

I will rate this tome 3 out of 4 stars. I deduct one star because the above negative points are not enough to give it 2 stars. This book can be appealing to those who like dystopian and sci-fi novels. However, there are some bloody scenes that are not suitable for the faint of heart. The numerous profane words also make this copy unsafe for young readers. In addition, I found a lot of punctuation errors, so I suppose this volume should undergo another round of editing.

Constelis Voss Vol. 2: Pattern Recognition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think it’s great that the author has developed the characters well, including that emotional component.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like an interesting setting, but I would like to know that the trilogy is complete before starting it. Thank you for this great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I have mixed feelings about this novel: character development seems excellent but flaws and errors are a turn-off. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Great Review! I’m not sure if I will read this just yet, but I will certainly consider it.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: Insights for Coaching Leaders beyond 2021 by Jill Flynn

Post by NISSE »

As I have not read the first part of this series, I will skip this for now.However, I have enjoyed your review!
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Interesting pot! I haven't read the first book, so this will have to wait. Well-written and honest review.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I don't really like the concept of androids, but I know they are often featured in science fiction novels.

You justified your rating well. Hopefully, some editing can be done to fix the issues. Thank you for an interesting review.
:techie-reference:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I used to not mind gory scenes, but I seem to have now joined the ranks of the faint of heart. A consequence of aging, I suppose. So, I guess I won't be meeting these androids. I hope they won't have any hard feelings.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

A high tech book. Study sophistication in robotics that androids have feelings. Something I'd like to read
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I love stories where robots have feelings, so I might give this one a read. Thank you for the great review and recommendation!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I would also dislike the mentioned above abruptness of the narrative. Thank you for a honest and insightful review! :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”