Review of The Harbinger

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miriam nkere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-nkere.html
Latest Review: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism by Dan Verin

Review of The Harbinger

Post by Miriam nkere »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Harbinger" by Mary Eicher.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How would you feel if you knew when you would die? I don't mean in the next ten or fifty years or when you are up to 90 or 110 years but three days before your death. I bet it wouldn't be a feeling to look forward to experiencing. However, I think it's better to know. What do you think?

The Harbinger is a fascinating book written by Mary Eicher. The story starts with Artemis, who lost her brother after three days when he heard loud bells ringing in his ear. Others in the city kept hearing the loud bell individually and died after three days. Hemsley, the governor of California, didn't bother about the situation due to an upcoming election. And he does not want anything to disturb or distract him since he does not have a solution to the problem and does not believe it's real. In a few months, the increasing number of deaths has become alarming. Before dying, victims complain of symptoms like an ear-splitting headache and the sound of bells. This phenomenon is popularly known as Harbinger.

Taking advantage of the situation, an anonymous mentor instructs Jamil Uberdorf to build a website and recruit volunteers known as Servants of the Harbinger. What is the aim of this group, and who could the anonymous mentor be? What is the fate of the people? Most importantly, who is behind the phenomenon?

The Harbinger by Mary Eicher is a sci-fi novel, and what I like most about it is its characterization. The characters are likable, though some of them are not easy to appreciate. The characters are well-developed and unique. Artemis' character depicts a strong-willed, lovable woman with the beauty of a goddess who is also diligent at her work. Angie is a sweet, interesting, smart little girl, and it's always fun to be in her company. Readers will find it very easy to relate to these characters. I also appreciate the writing style. It is straightforward, simple, and easy to comprehend, which made my reading fun.

Furthermore, there is nothing to dislike about the book though some events in the book are heartbreaking. For example, the part where innocent lives were untimely cut short was touching. I recommend this book to those who enjoy fantasy books. It will also be suitable for mature minds due to the sexual acts in the book. If you are sensitive to reading about the death of loved ones, prejudice against women, suicidal acts, terrorism, and cult membership, you should consider skipping this one.

In conclusion, I rate The Harbinger 3 out of 4 stars. I had to deduct one star because the book was not professionally edited, as I found more than ten typographical errors. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed the story and can't rate it any lower because its pros outweigh the cons by far.

The Harbinger
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The concept of year leap is amazing. The kind of stuff we might experience is something interests me. I'm reading this book.
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

The way I get antsy about a work deadline, this Final deadline would definitely have me calling quits before it arrives 😂😂😂. Sorry for the dark humor but it is an interesting review about an interesting book. Great work keep it up.
If the heart is clear, it doesn't matter if there's a storm brewing in the sky.

- Bing Xin.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m really interested in thinking about people who know when they’re going to die. Even more interesting is other people trying to prevent it! Thanks for the review!
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

Intriguing plot, I am curious for how it ends, nice review!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks for a well-detailed review and recommendations . I'm intrigued by the storyline and I'll add this book to my shelf.
Novela book
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novela-book.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Novela book »

The book seems so interesting with such a unique idea to look into. A fascinating story which has made me want to read it asap.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

Seems like this Sci-Fi book possess a great story line. I should definitely give this a shot. Thanks for this awesome and honest review!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 446
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A signal that tells one about how much life is left looks quite intriguing to me. Thanks for your insightful and honest review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

I found your review interesting and at the same time humorous. I loved it. Thank you.
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

I found your review interesting and at the same time humorous. I loved it. Thank you.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing novel based on a concept that offers food for thought. I hope the author does another round of proofreading to make it excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

The cover on this one I find to be gorgeous. Your excellent review of it is icing on the cake. I'll need to add it to my list.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

I don't know what i will do, if i find out i will die in three days time. That will be a horrific experience. Thanks for the captivating review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”