Review of Prometheus: Annihilation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Review of Prometheus: Annihilation

Post by Ayindelaw »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Prometheus: Annihilation" by Ben Dedrick.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ace Cooper and Harry Gittleman thought they were investigating a murder until they realized they had been tricked into partaking in a war whose outcome could determine the survival of humanity as we know it.

Everyone loved Adam Carlton, so his sudden death was an unpleasant surprise, but the police made it worse by pronouncing it an accident, even though the evidence suggested that there was more to it. Unsatisfied, Adam’s father, Wyatt Carlton, engaged Ace and Harry in an investigation that led them to the discovery of two superhuman organizations; the Petrovists and the Prometheus Corporation. The Petrovists are concerned with only one thing—world domination—and they are about to make a big move. Fortunately, the Prometheans are onto them, but they don’t know that the evil Petrovists have a weapon of global consequence up their sleeve. Will Ace and Harry unravel the mystery of Adam’s death? Although the Prometheans have prevailed before, it seems evil will have a field day this time around—or not? Find out by grabbing a copy of this suspenseful read.

Prometheus: Annihilation by Ben Dedrick is an exhilarating story with an unusual approach that keeps you guessing until the last moment. In this book, Ben Dedrick crafts bits of action and masterfully sprinkles them from the first page to the last. It takes the reader’s attention, divides it between various aspects of the plot, and brings them together in a colorful showpiece that culminates in a full-frontal assault on the senses. The tale is detailed, the plot-building is patient, and there is a backstory for nearly all elements of the story.

I must admit that this book has great content, but what’s more is the non-linear ordering of events in the plot (flashbacks), which combined well with the first-person narration to make Ace’s account look and sound like they actually happened in reality. I loved Ben’s portrayal of the characters. They had good depth and were all distinct from one another, irrespective of their total screen time. Besides Ben’s impressive character building, the light-banter between the characters was a constant source of laughter as well. I also loved the author’s patient description of the characters’ weapons. It was quite gratifying for an armament junkie like me.

On the downside, the book’s font and text alignment looked like they could use some improvement. I also noticed an event that seemed a tad too convenient in the plot. Notwithstanding, I rate Prometheus: Annihilation 3 out of 4 stars because it was so entertaining that I read it more than once. I would have loved to award this novel a perfect rating, but it did not seem like it was professionally edited. Conversely, I would have reduced my rating, but the tale was too good for a 2-star rating. Besides, I wouldn’t have noticed the “convenient” events if I had read it just once.

All things considered, I recommend Prometheus: Annihilation to fans of action-packed tales portraying superhuman characters and hero figures. Aside from the action and characters, this book is a mouthwatering feast if you like plot twists, as it is practically riddled with them. Enjoy!

Prometheus: Annihilation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Innovations are usually the result of desperate times
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

There seems to be a lot to unpack from this story; I love when stories are this action-packed. I liked that you mentioned that the dialogues and banter were funny; I find it amazing when authors manage to make their characters funny through the pages. Thank you very much for the recommendation!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging novel with an interesting mix of elements, so I hope the author does some more editing to "polish" it. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Bethany Nystrand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethany-nystrand.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by Bethany Nystrand »

Very intriguing. Sounds like a thoroughly enjoyable book. I think the names of both organizations are the highlights for me. They really stick out and sound fun.
Wolf4416
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wolf4416.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith

Post by Wolf4416 »

I believe I will try this book. Your review has inspired me with the talk of action and how it keeps the readers attention. Thank you for the review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Superheroes, good character building and a decent storyline is hard to find. Sounds like just the book to spend a weekend with. Thank you for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”