Review of The Golden Jackpot Hotel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of The Golden Jackpot Hotel

Post by Kennedy NC »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Golden Jackpot Hotel" by Vincent Glen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Abner Redder, Mama Lulu, and Tutty Redder live in the Golden Jackpot Hotel owned and managed by Abner Redder. Tutty works as Abner’s secretary and assists him in doing a bunch of work, as he is blind. Abner sits in his office conducting interviews for the post of assistant manager for the hotel. The hotel is not making as much profit as expected with its capacity, and it is one of the worst hotels in Vegas. Tutty advises Abner to sell his hotel and use the money to start a better life, but he disagrees, believing that his hotel is one of the best in the city.

Tutty wakes up to find Tango Valentine and his group of talking animals at the Hotel. Tango tells her that he came to the hotel in search of a job in the entertainment department. She tells him there is no opening and is about to let them go when she realises that the animals can talk. She feels that this will attract people to the hotel and brings Tango into the hotel. She realises that convincing Abner to let the animals perform at the hotel will be challenging, so she helps Tango secure the office of the assistant manager while waiting for the right time to break the news to Abner. Will Tutty and Tango manage to pull off keeping four animals in the hotel without blind Abner figuring it out, or will he discover their secret? Will Tango and his animals be able to revive the fortunes of the hotel? Find out by reading this fantasy fiction.

Vincent Glen’s The Golden Jackpot Hotel places a lot of emphasis on the surreal. It uses events and characters that we can find only in our imagination, making it a unique book. A reader would be intrigued by the talking animals and would want to discover where the author intends to go with them. The author’s use of personification in the book was indeed commendable. From the talking clocks to the talking animals to the talking moon, a reader experiences things that they would not ordinarily see in reality.

There is also the talk about the second domain or the rest area where a person can be whoever he wants to be. The book would settle with a person’s most profound imagination. I found the language of the book very easy to understand, so it was not difficult to flow with the book. The pranks and tantrums played by the animals made the book quite funny. I did not find a lot of errors in this book, which shows that it was professionally edited.

This book has some negative aspects. Firstly, I did not appreciate the fact that the characters were always so predictable. I could tell what a character would do in every situation, which made the book less exciting, too simplistic, and lacking the element of surprise. Secondly, I felt there was a lot of unnecessary repetition, which made the book quite long. A shorter book with the same plot would have been better appreciated. At some point, I lost interest in reading the book. I felt a lot could have been done to improve the plot or storyline.

Due to the negative points stated above, I rate this book a three out of four stars. I did not give it a lower rating because it was still engaging and exciting to read and was professionally edited. I recommend this book to all lovers of fantasy fiction, particularly those interested in unique plots that can stir their imagination.

The Golden Jackpot Hotel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Even though there have been many books and movies about talking animals, this story seems different. I would love to find out if Tango is able to trick Abner! Despite the negative aspects you mentioned, this book still sounds entertaining.

Thank you for detailed review and analysis.
:techie-reference:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

There are some imaginative elements in this novel but I understand how a predictable plot can be disappointing, so it might need some more development. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”