Review of Tate and the Lotus Pond

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Review of Tate and the Lotus Pond

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tate and the Lotus Pond" by Judy Cicero.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Asian culture, lotus flowers are revered for their ability to persevere, so a lotus pond is an apt location for little Tate to persist through his troubles in Judy Cicero's story, Tate and the Lotus Pond: A Fantasy.

This fairy tale (author's description) for older children is ushered in by Tate disobeying his mother and exploring a lotus pond when she falls asleep. Shortly after starting his journey, he's befriended by a baby spider, Little-One, who is lost and looking for his home web. Tate agrees to help his new chum, but the way there is not so easy, for there are all kinds of evil creatures standing in their way, including a bully fish, a rogue turtle, and a team of sumo snails.

I found Tate and the Lotus Pond to be a nice, little yarn with just enough suspense to keep the younger set interested. Even though the bully fish and others are painted as the duo's enemies, they're not written so fiercely as to frighten the book's readers. The friendship between the two protagonists is also somewhat realistic, as the two don't always see eye to eye. Another clever relationship included in the story is Tate's acquaintanceship with a fairy named Imagination; this latter familiarity leads to quite a few play-on-word moments wherein Tate talks about his friend, Imagination, when it is clear that the author is aiming to encourage a sense of imagination in children. At one point, Little-One is envious, noting that he only has an imagination with “a little 'i'."

In From the Author, Cicero noted that she took pains to authenticate "the use of Japanese plants, animals, ceremonies, traditions and culture," and I admired her attention to detail. She also started each chapter with a relevant haiku, many of them penned by the creator of haiku poetry, Basho. I thought these were unobtrusive and interesting ways to teach readers. Additionally, some of the words used are fairly complex, so the book acts as a fun vocabulary lesson as well.

Since this is a book for youngsters, there are pictures throughout the narrative. They're placed at the end of each chapter and depict an important moment that's yet to come in the following chapter. The drawings are colorful and sure to catch any reader's eye, but many of the pictures don't quite capture the descriptions given. For instance, one chapter notes that "all" of the sumo snails are wearing white padded belts around their middles, yet only one of the illustrated snails wears such a belt. In this same picture, the snails' horns are all the same size, though the text notes that each snail has one long horn and one short one. Elsewhere, the images of some ants don't quite meet their descriptions. While some children may not notice, perceptive kids are sure to recognize the discrepancies.

As fun a sojourn as Tate and the Lotus Pond was, the text was not without its faults. First, the font was way too small, and because the pages were loaded as images rather than text, I was unable to zoom in or change the font size on any of the devices that I tried. Having to nearly squint at the pages took away from my enjoyment. The myriad of grammatical errors also pulled me out of the story on occasion. The typographical mishaps included punctuation missteps, missing words, and - most egregiously - misspellings of characters' names. There was also an inconsistency where Tate asked Little-One how he knew about his Imagination when Tate had told him about her a few pages before.

All things considered, I thought this was a cute little story that, sadly, missed a few beats. Therefore, I am rating Tate and the Lotus Pond 3 out of 4 stars. While I think children who've graduated to chapter books would like the story, I hesitate to recommend it in its current condition. Youngsters of this age are learning the ins and outs of writing, so they shouldn't read a book this riddled with errors. However, because the story is a good one and educational, I do recommend that parents read it alongside their children, noting that the grammar is not quite up to par.
Lotus leaves in the pond
Ride on water
Rain in June
- Shiki, 1867-1902

Tate and the Lotus Pond
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kanchan Bhil
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-bhil.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Kanchan Bhil »

I have always loved illustrations in novels. Illustrations are a great way to support the reader's imagination. However, not being able to change the font of the book and the errors would give me a headache. Thank you for this great review!
Fahrizal Darmazi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fahrizal Darmazi »

Sepertinya sangat memberikan edukasi
the_bibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bibliofile.html
Latest Review: Fouling in Business and College Athletics by Gonzalo Fernandez

Post by the_bibliofile »

I love how imaginative and creative the characters and the storyline is, but I would have to agree with you, even I'd hesitate to recommend a book containing misspellings and errors to youngsters who are in the learning phase. Thank you for your engaging review!
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

This is a well detailed review, the author got very creative with the characters and plot; a great way to encourage children develop their imaginative side. Thanks for also indicating the amount of errors, it lets us know what to expect.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

I might be too old for this novel. As it's targeted to young readers, proofreading is even more important, so I hope the author does another round of proofreading. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

A pity about the discrepancies between text and images and also the numerous errors. It sounds like a fun story for the kids and I was drawn by the lotus because I have incorporated some Buddhist traditions into my belief system and the lotus forms an integral part. Thank you for the review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”