Review of Soul Train

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Review of Soul Train

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Soul Train" by T. C. Husvar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Don Cornelius' viewers rode his Soul Train for 39 seasons, but their feet remained firmly planted on Terra Firma. Most of the players in T. C. Husvar's Soul Train, on the other hand, have finished their time on Earth, and their souls are riding the train to the afterlife, good, bad, and indifferent.

This imaginative gem finds seventeen-year-old Joshua waking up at a train station with no idea how he got there. He does, however, have a ticket, so he gets on the train, uncertain of where he's going. By the time he realizes what's happening, it's too late to disembark. The only thing he can do is wait until he reaches his destination, wherever that is. With a motley crew of other passengers, many of them not what they seem, is there any hope for the teen?

I'm not usually a fan of protagonists suffering from amnesia, but the description for this tale took hold of me and wouldn't let go. And, like Joshua, once I stepped foot on my ride, I couldn't get off until I'd completed my whirlwind trip. Husvar delivered in all areas, from the world building (my favorite aspect) to the character profiles to just the right amount of suspense and discomfort. The soul train is overseen by conductor Teff, a pretty man whom Joshua can't quite get a bead on. I too had trouble figuring him out, and I thought this was a great ploy by the author. Other riders include transvestite Tiffany, influencer Madeline, and mysterious Jason. Joshua, being the lead, was the most multifaceted character, so I was best able to empathize with him, though Tiffany’s tale also had me grim-faced and shedding a tear.

As to the premise, I couldn't help but wonder if Husvar used Dante's classic Divine Comedy, which imagines Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory as having 9 circles each, as inspiration. I've never read the aforementioned, but now I may. I don’t want to give too much away, but I will note that I loved visiting each substation, as they were each unique and quite fitting, if a bit creepy. Station P, in particular, sent shivers up my spine, and I was captivated by Teff’s explanation after visiting this stop. Later in the tale, passenger Pedro further shed some light on things, giving me a light bulb moment.

As wonderful as the ride on this locomotive was, the grammar left much to be desired, as there were errors galore. I noted several issues with verb tenses, incorrect word usage, and a couple of misspellings. I would love for Soul Train to be a continuing series that I can board over and over again with the caveat that the stories be professionally edited. As for this trip, I have to rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

My other issue with this tome is that it left a few questions unanswered, so I still have a slight nagging in my brain. Still, I have no hesitation in recommending the journey to fans of Dante’s Inferno, readers who like visiting multiple worlds, and people who enjoy stories that star amnesiacs. Also, though the tale wasn’t full of profanity, there were a few instances of its usage, as well as mild violence, so readers should beware.
Soon you will be where your own eyes will see the source and cause and give you their own answer to the mystery.
– Dante Alighieri, Inferno

Soul Train
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Sometimes, we allow life to take us to its destination, especially when we've tried walking in a different route and it never takes us to where we ought to be.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Amnesia is a medical topic I would love to know more about, thanks for the honest review.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

Amnesia che be a cliché in fiction but in this novel it seems well used to develop an intriguing story. I hope the author does another round of editing with proper proofreading. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

It is a shame that errors rode the train, too. I hope they can disembark soon.
Primrose Mhlanga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-primrose-mhlanga.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Primrose Mhlanga »

The book resonates with us; not particularly sure where we're headed but take on the Soul Train. I think this is an amazing book.

Thanks for the great review😉
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 20:00 It is a shame that errors rode the train, too. I hope they can disembark soon.
very funny note, fought me thinking the same thing, they shouldn't have ridden at the first place
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

This novel has grabbed my attention immensely! Where could Joshua possibly be headed to? I guess ill have to read the book to find out! Great review! :D
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

The title captured my attention—so glad you gave a nod to Don Cornelius. :character-afro:

This sounds like quite a trip. I hope Joshua’s stop is a good one.

Thank you for a wonderful review. :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Rbbhuncho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Rbbhuncho »

Amazing book it really enlightened me about amnesia.Thank you for your review

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”