Review of New City Chronicles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Review of New City Chronicles

Post by Emily_Jen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "New City Chronicles" by E.L. Hendrix.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“When I kill Ariel, I will become more powerful than you; Tabitha will do as I command. Her or any of her sisters’ only use will ultimately be as a vessel for a child.” The above is an excerpt from Valen and Devan Elaniel’s conversation just before Devan Elaniel (the Archon), trapped in his near-lifeless body, relinquished his name to Valen. After surrendering his name, the Archon resurrects as Valen Elaniel and is more deadly than before. His plan for New City is quite clear, but he must first restore his power with Ariel Waters’ spiritual essence. Valen suspects Ariel is Erafel and the most powerful of the seven sisters.

Pythorael wants to bring down Valen Elaniel, and he must work with Tabitha to gain control of LEOH 2. To thwart Elaniel’s plan, Pythorael would help Tabitha locate her four remaining sisters, having found Ariel and Danette. She must protect them from being captured by the resurrected Archon. Meanwhile, according to Erafel’s prophecy several centuries ago, if the one with Erafel’s name gives her life to save her sisters, Elaniel would be defeated. For the prophecy to come to pass, however, the remaining sisters must be found. Which of the sisters holds Erafel’s hidden name? Will Tabitha locate all her sisters? Will Valen Elaniel’s plan to transcend to the ethereal realm succeed? Read New City Chronicles: Book 3 by E.L. Hendrix to find out.

One thing is consistent with all the books of this series—the excellent character development. While there is a lot of consistency with the attitude of the characters we encountered from book 1, the new characters are also explained in depth. Interesting characters with unique stories were introduced to the story, which gave the tale a different direction than what you would have expected after reading the first and second books. Characters like Symone and Danette came alive in this book, and I was pleased to see that my predictions after reading the previous books weren’t quite correct. Symone and Danette are Tabitha's sisters, but Symone was mentioned for the first time in this book. I connected with her on another level because of what she passed through while growing up. She is easily my favorite character for the entire series.

Needless to say, the writer organized the tale into an impeccable plot, a feature that is also consistent with the previous books. Not once throughout the series was I confused with the sequence of events that took place. The description of places and events throughout the series made it easy for me to visualize what the author described. It was quite a journey for me to see the way each character evolved based on the experiences they had. For example, Ariel became somewhat judgmental and less forgiving at some point, and I understood the reason for the transition. That change also ushered in a significant event that led to the advancement of the story. Everything was connected excellently and realistically.

The only thing I found confusing about the story was when Tatisel, the adjutant of the principality of the archangel, was in dialogue with people of the ethereal realm. They always spoke in parables, and I found it difficult to decipher what they meant. Also, when Danette appeared in the spiritual realm, her discussion with the three women that appeared before her was confusing.

Nonetheless, this is a good book that is professionally edited. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. The confusion I encountered in some parts did not take anything away from my overall enjoyment of the book. Readers interested in supernatural fiction books containing action and magic would enjoy this series. There are some references to God in the book, so it may not be suited to people that aren’t Christians. Also, the book contains major profane words.

New City Chronicles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Joseph Mutuku 1
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-mutuku-1.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Joseph Mutuku 1 »

I am not a fan of supernatural fiction books; however, it is praiseworthy that the book has excellent character development and we'll organized. I think it's not for me. Thanks for your sincere review.
Ahmad Mustafa 3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ahmad Mustafa 3 »

I am not a fan of supernatural fiction books; however, it is praiseworthy that the book has excellent character development and we'll organized. I think it's not for me. Thanks for your sincere review
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

I am a very big fan of supernatural books. I am really curious about what brought changes in Ariel's character. It really seems to be a good read. Thank you for the wonderful review 🌻🌼
Leah Blackman Pitt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah-blackman-pitt.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Leah Blackman Pitt »

Although I am not an avid fan of supernatural fiction, the book does seem to include a remarkably compelling storyline and is carefully put together. I may not be interested in reading but thanks for your thorough review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Stories that mix supernatural with other elements and genres can be great if the mix is handled well, and this seems the case. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Supernatural fictions are my favorite kind of book, am loving this book already, beautiful review.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

sounds like quite the book, it will keep you on the edge of your seat, however I dislike books with too much profanity, great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”