Review of Singularity

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Review of Singularity

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Singularity" by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho and Jayme S. Alencar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jayme A. Oliveira Filho and Jayme S. Alencar's Singularity is an idealistic novel that centers around the Earth's ability to sustain human life and climate change's threat to humanity. Joseph Silva, a brilliant astrophysicist, comes up with a theory on how other universes can be accessed by passing through the 'singularity' of a black hole. His idea places him at risk of being ostracized by the science community. But being an optimistic, persistent man, he holds on to his belief with the support of his daughter, Daisy, who grows up to be a scientist herself. Daisy dedicates her life to prove her father's theory and restore his honor in the scientific world.

The authors of Singularity are no doubt men of few words. While some books take time creating elaborate plots to enamor readers in anticipation of some tumultuous conflict and the suspense of its resolution, Singularity is devoid of these subtleties, as the authors delve right to the point. From the first page of the book, readers are already abreast of the 'deal.' Readers may appreciate this brevity, as the book only takes a few hours to read. However, this briefness may have affected detailed character development, extending to the romance side of the story that is less than half-fleshed.

Singularity is a technical book with many scientific terms that few readers might follow. The authors do try to explain some of these terms, but the fact remains that readers who are not 'science geeks' may still feel like they have been thrown into a strange world. However, the colorful images that the authors inserted in the book give it a bright outlook and provide a sweet balm for readers who are not scientifically inclined. There is also a bit of romance, albeit almost undeveloped.

This book is about family, love, values, and legacies. The sheer grit and perseverance with which Joseph Silva pursues his idea are inspiring. He also instills this in his daughter, creating a legacy of strength and resilience. Joseph said to Daisy, "Let no one tell you what you have to do. Believe in something and fight for it to the end." Readers may want to take a note out of Joseph's book, not only in the pursuit of dreams and ambitions but also in simple ideas at the core of who we are.

The central theme of this book revives a conversation that is very much real in today's world. It is the conversation of human survival on Earth, emphasizing the effects of humankind's activities on our planet. In the wake of this revived introspection, this book may come across as an uncanny premonition of the doom that awaits Earth if drastic steps are not taken to safeguard our biosphere. Thankfully, the book offers some hope for humanity.

This book might make you cry, with some of the emotional scenes. But it will also make you think deeply. The book will benefit from another round of editing as per the errors picked up, which can be distracting and affect the reading flow. Considering the number of errors and the almost undeveloped plots, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to all lovers of science fiction and curious minds about climate change and its effect.

Singularity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

This book seems easy read for the science geeks. I like Daisy's father's determination. And I truly appreciate it when he says to Daisy to believe in something and fight it till the end. Thank you for your wonderful review 🌻🌼
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Am not a lover of science fictions, but am loving this book already, beautiful review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like the kind of science fiction novel that offers some food for thought concerning some problems that are crucial for the future of humanity. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

Bookmarked and saved for later. These are my kinds of books. I am intrigued by a lot of scientific stuff that the majority of other people would find boring. The author being an astrophysicist is a clear indication that this book is not kids' stuff. Thanks for pointing me in this books direction.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Thank you for a great review. This seems to be the type of book devoid of the: character development arcs, fillers, loads of explanations and back and forth conversations. While this might not be to everyone's liking, it certainly falls right up my alley. I cannot wait to pick this book up.
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Thank you for the review. A book where a daughter dedicates her life to proving her fathers theories is dear to me. However, I am fresh off reading a book with a lot of errors and so with that in mind, I think I would hold off on reading this book for now.
Rachel Kubus
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Currently Reading: Soundless
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-kubus.html
Latest Review: Acts of Hope by Martin Elsant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Rachel Kubus »

After reading this review, I believe this is a book for me. I enjoy science-fiction with just a dab of romance, so I will definitely be adding this to my bookshelf.
Last edited by Rachel Kubus on 23 Nov 2021, 11:31, edited 2 times in total.
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Rupali Mishra »

Congrats on BOTD!
This seems to be the kind of novel that lacks back-and-forth dialogue, fillers, and character development arcs. I am fond of a book where a daughter devotes her life to proving her father's views.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting science fiction fantasy novel highlighting the universe, science, physics, adventure, family, beliefs, and humanity's survival. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Amprye
Currently Reading: The Autobiography of Malcolm X
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amprye.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Amprye »

Unfortunately I am not a big fan of science fiction. But I think this cover is super cool and the emotional undertones of this book are very captivating. Congratulations on book of the day!
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

I love science fiction, I also love stories that mix, with balance, different genres and are not limited to just one theme. This story seems interesting and I would like to read it. Thanks for the review.
Ams Strong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ams-strong.html
Latest Review: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter by Mark Gumbrell

Post by Ams Strong »

Great review. I am impressed that so much was packed into such a small book. I did not expect a romance story in addition to the science fiction.
Capitaniluc9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Capitaniluc9 »

Science fiction books have always been an interesting genre for me, containing endless theories and pushing all the limits of human thinking. This is proof that it is quite sufficient and successful to be able to read a book from beginning to end without breath. It's definitely a book I must read. I can't wait already...
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

This idealistic novel addresses the consequences of climate change and the Earth's capacity to sustain human life. Although it possesses scientific vocabulary, it also includes romance and covers themes about family, love, values, and legacies. Sounds interesting!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”