Review of Tribulations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Review of Tribulations

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tribulations" by Phil Sheehan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Phil Sheehan's Tribulations is an action-packed story set in the future. Blake Thompson, Sean O'Rourke, and Diego Velasquez, three SEALS on a supposedly typical day with an itinerary that only involves watching a game and hiking mountains, are suddenly thrust into a series of events that, while they seem disjointed, may well be related.

On the other hand, the country is divided into two groups. One group has a selfish political agenda, and the other group is with the President of the United States, Blake, and his team as part of the fight to maintain global peace. Blake is contacted by unique old friends whose existence might just cause a global war.

Sheehan's novel is a fun read, with its action-packed scenes and a healthy dose of suspense. This intricately crafted, fast-paced book is assured to take readers on a thrilling adventure into new worlds and possibilities.

The versatility of this book is appealing. Sheehan delivers a delicious intersection of the militia, political dynamics, and science, from insights into military ranks to Japanese fighting technique, Jiu-Jitsu. We also get some insight into the fact that the author is a connoisseur of movies from the several movie references in the book. Mentions are made of movies like Rain Man, Nine, and Armageddon. It won't be off to say that Sheehan has provided quite a to-watch movie list for readers who are yet to see the ones referenced. It will also be awesome to see Tribulations on the screens, just like these other movies; it has the plot and strong character dialogue that will sustain screen adaptation.

Tribulations is a novel about loyalty, service, truth, and sacrifice. The author uses his characters to showcase this, as seen in the camaraderie between Blake and his team. The relational dynamics within the team, with Blake at the center, make you think of Dominic Toretto of the Fast and Furious series and the similar close-knit family dynamics they had going on. It also serves as a timely reveal for those who have no idea of the many sacrifices that the militia and many men and women make to ensure that other citizens sleep well at night. Tribulations acknowledges the selflessness of these many anonymous but brave individuals.

Though this book is an appealing, entertaining piece for a lazy day on the couch, I love that it was also thought-provoking and educational. Asides from the military and political insights, it also compels profound meditations on a global pandemic that is 'war.' As a character in the book aptly points out, "the countries of your world never stop fighting?" World War I and II, 9/11, and countless other wars due to extremism and human selfishness have led to needless loss of lives. So, in a way, the character of President Callahan is a representation of a coveted ideal that may drive world unity. Also, the love entrenched in Blake's team is a reflection of what the world needs.

If you love fast-paced action and are a fan of sci-fi, then Tribulations is recommended. However, there is just something in there for almost everyone. I rate this book four out of four stars. There's no aspect of the book I don't like, the few grammar errors regardless.

Tribulations
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Christine Cagas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Christine Cagas »

I think this would be a good story. I like action-packed stories. Having a suspense part will give a thrill in the story.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

The ongoing fight for global peace makes for an adventurous story. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love the scientific actions in this book, thanks for the honest review.
Dr Chocha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dr-chocha.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Dr Chocha »

Wow, Great timing, Politics in the future. This sounds fun to read I can not wait to flip the pages of this book. This is an amazing review, thank you.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

I love action stories. Am drawn to this book. Thank you for a great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

Looks like there's a lot in this novel with some food for thought concerning human nature and how its dark sides caused countless tragedies throughout history. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

I love fast-paced action stories and science-fiction books. This book catches my attention as the review was well written. Thanks for the admirable review.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

sounds like an interesting book, fresh pot about the future and common jobs as the present, this seems unique, great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”