Review of Purges of the Soul

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
STabassum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stabassum.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Review of Purges of the Soul [May 2022 Book of the Month]

Post by STabassum »

I really appreciate the uniqueness behind the plot of this book. Short stories can be monotonous if they lack the factor of interest but this book sounds really engaging as per the reviews. The amalgamation of different genres into one book is a reader’s delight. Looking forward to reading this book.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

BookBoyP wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 18:01 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Purges of the Soul" by Cathy S Birn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Purges of the Soul by Cathy S. Birn is a book filled with fictional stories. It is a compilation of 40 short stories. The stories in this book cover a wide range of topics revolving around dark humour, ghosts, love, hope, and a lot more. Each story is different from the story that comes after it.

The stories were exquisitely written and easy to read, with some having a bit of suspense in them. I loved reading most of the stories in this book. I think my favourite story in this book would be the story titled The Dragon, as it brought a certain feeling of hope and a smile to my face. A dragon born in a shade of white color was considered a bad omen to its clan. Therefore, it was rejected and ready to be killed. Marie, an eight-year-old kid, was on one of her daily walks, as her mum preferred partying to looking after her. She heard the dragon’s cry and did what any compassionate child would do and rescued it. Marie got kidnapped a couple of years after. She kicked and screamed, but her abductors did not care, as they were only after the profit they would make from selling an adolescent girl. The dragon heard the cry and pondered on whether to risk its own life to save the girl. Did the dragon go to save the girl? Did her abductors eventually sell the girl? Those are the questions readers will get answers to when they read the book.

What I liked about the book was the diversity of the stories. Although the book comprised of many stories, the author's arrangement and writing style was easy to comprehend, and the stories in the book was well arranged.

Purges of the Soul by Cathy S. Birn is an exceptionally well-edited book. I did not find any errors while reading. There was nothing I disliked about this book. However, some stories in the book were so dark that I got scared a bit. It is safe to say the book was professionally edited.

The stories in the book were quite interesting to read. I did not have any issues with the content of the book. I will rate this book four out of four stars. I would recommend this book to young adults. This book will be a real treat for readers who love reading short stories as they will be spoiled for choice.

Purges of the Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
I have read this book, but not while it was book of the month. I found the content to be interesting, but just not my choice of stories to read.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I'm not much of a short stories person but I think I'll like this one as it has a wide range of topics and all of them are my go to. Thanks for the amazing review.
Usas24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Usas24 »

I love the image on the cover page, its attract attention and I will love to fully read the story
Muntasir Rezvi

Post by Muntasir Rezvi »

The topics in this book are very diverse. Reading short stories is my favorite kind of reading. It is definitely on my list to read when I have time.
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Affliction: Growing Up With a Closeted Gay Dad by Laura Hall
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

With 40 short stories, there must be something for everyone. Sounds like a good choice for young people.
Prince Tony 1

Post by Prince Tony 1 »

It's interesting because of the kind of discretion on the book and I love such kind of story when reading a book
Ogiyaonke Kilili
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Ogiyaonke Kilili »

"This book will be a real treat for readers who love reading short stories as they will be spoiled for choice."
you are talking about my wife, she loves short love stories. thank for a sweet review on the Purges of the soul
Juliet Johnson
Currently Reading: Functional Dysfunction
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-johnson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by Juliet Johnson »

From the look of the book cover and reviews seen, I would love to read The Purges Of The Soul. It looks like flipping through this book, short stories would be worth it.
oukelonu64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukelonu64.html
Latest Review: Fast Starting a Career of Consequence: Workbook by Fred Sievert

Post by oukelonu64 »

Wow so cool. Any book with suspense and dragons just count me in :D
Fay KM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fay-km.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Fay KM »

I personally love dark humour. Coupled with elements of suspense and mystery makes the book sound so much more interesting.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I would love to read this one because it will be my first time where the book contains a lot of different short stories. Furthermore, your favorite short story was really intriguing to me to read this book.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

I'm not too fond of books that have too many short stories. I'll pass this one. I loved your review, though. Well done, BookBoyP.
Katelyn Frazier
Currently Reading:

Post by Katelyn Frazier »

I love reading short stories covering different range of topics. I'll check this one out when I find time between reviews. Great work.
Hana Rizwan
Currently Reading: Justice
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Hana Rizwan »

Thanks for the great review. I love reading short stories. I find it really intriguing. the simple english makes it more easy and interesting. Great job!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”