Review of Storm Front Over Atlantis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Review of Storm Front Over Atlantis

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Storm Front Over Atlantis" by E.W. Roberts.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Storm Front Over Atlantis, written by E.W. Roberts, is the first installment of a series called Olympic Legacy. This imaginative narrative skillfully mixes Greek mythology with a contemporary coming-of-age story. The story shifts back and forth between two scenarios: the town of Great Oak and the mythic realm of Atlantis.

On the mythological front, readers learn that Zeus founded many nations in Atlantis, and he had sons and daughters that helped him rule. Atlantis got populated by the descendants of the gods, which are long-lived but mortal. The immortal went to Olympus, with a few exceptions, including Athena, daughter of Zeus. On another front, readers follow the protagonist, Victoria (Vic) Hartley, a teenager living in Great Oak, a town in the US. When the book begins, Kerri, a local reporter, meets Theron, a mysterious visitor. They are both interested in the recent murders in the city. Throughout the book, readers follow the unexpected ramifications of these events. But no spoilers are allowed!

This gripping book had several positives worth mentioning. For starters, I enjoyed the well-developed characters. The protagonist, Vic, was rich and multidimensional. I particularly enjoyed how the author developed Vic’s relationship with Lana, her beloved sister. Vic and Lana got bullied at school by the Mallard boys, who teased them for not having a mother, and Vic finally found a way to defend herself. The contrast of Vic’s personality with that of Joy’s, her popular friend, was also well-built into the plot. Theron and Kerri’s personalities, as well as their relationship, also bring nuance to the story.

What I liked the most about the story was, by far, the creative and engaging plot. The author did an excellent job of weaving several elements of fantasy and adventure. For instance, I enjoyed the relationship Vic establishes with Athena and the wonderful coming-of-age dynamic it brings to the story. I especially appreciated the author’s creativity in devising Theron’s background story and, above all, his special powers. He had a sack next to his heart, and it released venom into his bloodstream, transforming him into a werewolf. I thought that the author’s narrative style explored these elements beautifully.

Additionally, Roberts’s use of language was vivid, and the novel held my attention firmly from start to finish. I also enjoyed the ending of the story. Although it involves a cliffhanger, I had enough closure to leave me satisfied. I appreciate it when the author manages to achieve this.

Lastly, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I had a lot of fun reading it. There are no negatives worth mentioning, and it seemed professionally edited; I found no errors in it. I strongly recommend this novel to readers who enjoy fantasy stories with a touch of mythology.

Storm Front Over Atlantis
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

A fantasy story that has a touch of mythology sounds like it'll be a great read. The appropriate audience will have a good time reading it. Great review.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

This looks like quite an intriguing plot. Would definitely love to have this book on my shelf. Great review.
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Isn't it hilarious how Zeus is so smut that he literally has authors writing about him in every culture including those that have no Greek heritage? Atlantis for instance, though while being of Athenian origin, was a subject of Plato's invented ideal state of a Republic in his writings Timaeus and Critias. Any book that invokes Atlantis is at least worth a check out for me and with the inclusion of half Olympians, I am definitely interested. Thank you for the review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

Fantasy, even urban fantasy, stories that rework mythological elements and characters can be terrific if well blended, and this seems like the case. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

This amazing book possess imaginative narrative that skillfully mixes Greek mythology with a contemporary coming-of-age story. It's a gripping book with well developed characters.
The review is superb.
Congratulations on Botd 🎉
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Why in the World Are We Here?
Bookshelf Size: 2400
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The premise of combining a Greek goddess with an American teenager seems promising and probably opens the opportunity to all sorts of situations, from funny to enlightening ones. Furthermore, the book seems well-executed in all aspects. I especially admire authors who are able to tie loose ends while still ending the book on a cliffhanger.
Thank you for your excellently written review!
Michelle Menezes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I'm not a fan of contemporary coming-of-age stories, but I'll still be checking this book out due to the addition of Greek mythology and the mention of Atlantis. I'm curious to see how all this has an effect on Victoria's life. Thank you for the wonderful review!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting amazing science fiction novel highlighting a skillfully mix of Greek mythology with a unique contemporary coming of age story. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 352

Post by Tars »

Definitely will put the book on my "Want to read" shelf, it hits all the correct points to appeal to my tastes, starting with my favorite genre; continuing by relation to mythology and Atlantis in particular; ending with extremely promising description and intriguing storyline. Thanks for recommendation and congrats on BOTD!
DrOshA
Favorite Book: Dragon Reborn
Currently Reading: Storm Front Over Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drosha.html
Latest Review: Colors by Samuel J Murray

Post by DrOshA »

Excellent review mmm17! You covered character development, plot direction and enough of the story to whet our appetites without spoilers. I am sure I will enjoy reading this book as much as you did. It's going on the bookshelf!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 446
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

An interesting mythological fantasy book "Storm Front Over Atlantis" by E.W. Roberts looks like an engaging read. The story focuses on the town of Great Oak and the mythic realm of Atlantis.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

This sounds like a book with well-developed and interesting characters. The part about Theron having a sack beside his heart that produced venom into his bloodstream causing him to turn into a werewolf is a unique concept. I don't usually read books about things like werewolves, vampires, or any kind of strange phenomenon. Thank you for the excellent review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I am curious to see the connection between the Greek mythology part to Vic’s story. Thanks for your review!
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I'd love to follow this coming-of-age story with elements of Greek mythology. Vic seems to be a strong female protagonist. I wonder what Theron's role is in the development of the plot. Thanks for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”