Review of Catastrophica

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prajakta Pathak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prajakta-pathak.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Review of Catastrophica

Post by Prajakta Pathak »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Catastrophica" by Trevor Daffyd.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Catastrophica by Trevor Daffyd is a novel that delves into the history and mystery surrounding the pyramids of ancient Egypt, the Ancient gods, Atlantis, and much more. I didn't know what to expect when I chose the book, but I was delighted. The book is intriguing from start to finish since it is based on research. I used to dislike conducting research but reading this novel made me look at research from a different perspective.

The book starts with Diokles and his father on lake boats for six months, and they finally spot land. This takes place around 9600 BC. The book then changes to Paul Vaughan and his son, Jared in Hobart, Australia, 2020. Jared has to prepare a research paper on a topic he likes, and he decides to write about Noah's flood that wiped much of the civilization. His father, a professor of history, always supports him throughout the book, giving information on how to research accurately. The book continues switching perspectives that show the various places affected by the flood. Diokles and his father, NASA, Serai from Ancient Sumeria, Thalia from Pavlopetri, and Deucalion from Ancient Athens are the ones that we see often. These stories also tie with Jared's research, and we start seeing the crossovers slowly. Knowing what Jared writes in his research paper keeps the readers wondering and hooked.

What I loved about the book were the characters. They were written very well, depth where it was needed, and made the story much more pleasurable to read. The characters had personalities and weren't just historical figures about whom we have heard about. The imagination Daffyd has used is truly incredible to read about. The worlds come alive before our eyes and hook us in.

There is nothing I disliked about the novel. I thought the plot would be too hard to follow with all the characters and switches between them, but it was quite the opposite. The author did not bombard the readers with excessive information and even gave explanations for words that were new to the readers. The various historical events were not boring and had truth to them even though some parts were imaginary, as clarified by Daffyd in the preamble.

I would rate Catastrophica 4 out of 4 stars. The novel had me on the edge the whole time, and I really liked seeing the history tie up towards the end. I found only one error, but that did not cause a hindrance to my reading. I would recommend this book to young adults as some parts are not meant for teenagers. Young adults who enjoy historical fiction would find this work a good read.

Catastrophica
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

A book about the history of the ancient pyramids of Egypt. Would prove quite interesting I must say.
Prajakta Pathak
Currently Reading:

Ekezie1998 wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 08:21 A book about the history of the ancient pyramids of Egypt. Would prove quite interesting I must say.
Truly. Give it a read!
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

I've always wondered how the pyramids of Egypt and other wonders of the world came about. It'll be interesting to read about one of those in this book. Great review.
Ginikachukwu N
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ginikachukwu N »

I always had a feeling that the pyramid of Egypt has more to it than we may ever totally find out.
I definitely will read this.
Prajakta Pathak
Currently Reading:

Kingsley Emodi wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 13:00 I've always wondered how the pyramids of Egypt and other wonders of the world came about. It'll be interesting to read about one of those in this book. Great review.
Yes! Thank you!
Prajakta Pathak
Currently Reading:

Ginikachukwu N wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 13:42 I always had a feeling that the pyramid of Egypt has more to it than we may ever totally find out.
I definitely will read this.
It really blew my mind! Thank you for dropping a comment!
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Based off of your review, this seems like a book that could potentially overwhelm me as the switch by in time periods and a mixtures of religious an historical facts isn't something I can easily wrap my head around. I would have to pass up on this one but thank you for your honest review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging novel that spans millennia using mythologies to develop a story that goes from Atlantis to the far future. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Prajakta Pathak
Currently Reading:

Uchechukwu Okereke wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 01:48 Based off of your review, this seems like a book that could potentially overwhelm me as the switch by in time periods and a mixtures of religious an historical facts isn't something I can easily wrap my head around. I would have to pass up on this one but thank you for your honest review.
Understandable. This is quite a vast book with lots of topics. Thank you for your comment!
Prajakta Pathak
Currently Reading:

NetMassimo wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 16:34 This seems like an engaging novel that spans millennia using mythologies to develop a story that goes from Atlantis to the far future. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you so much!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 2401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I love historical fiction, and this crossover with sci-fi seems unique and interesting. I'm also glad it changed your opinion on research. The ability of literature to broaden our perspective will always amaze me.
Thank you for your review!
JSWorrilless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsworrilless.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by JSWorrilless »

Prajakta Pathak wrote: 30 Oct 2021, 11:36 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Catastrophica" by Trevor Daffyd.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Catastrophica by Trevor Daffyd is a novel that delves into the history and mystery surrounding the pyramids of ancient Egypt, the Ancient gods, Atlantis, and much more. I didn't know what to expect when I chose the book, but I was delighted. The book is intriguing from start to finish since it is based on research. I used to dislike conducting research but reading this novel made me look at research from a different perspective.

The book starts with Diokles and his father on lake boats for six months, and they finally spot land. This takes place around 9600 BC. The book then changes to Paul Vaughan and his son, Jared in Hobart, Australia, 2020. Jared has to prepare a research paper on a topic he likes, and he decides to write about Noah's flood that wiped much of the civilization. His father, a professor of history, always supports him throughout the book, giving information on how to research accurately. The book continues switching perspectives that show the various places affected by the flood. Diokles and his father, NASA, Serai from Ancient Sumeria, Thalia from Pavlopetri, and Deucalion from Ancient Athens are the ones that we see often. These stories also tie with Jared's research, and we start seeing the crossovers slowly. Knowing what Jared writes in his research paper keeps the readers wondering and hooked.

What I loved about the book were the characters. They were written very well, depth where it was needed, and made the story much more pleasurable to read. The characters had personalities and weren't just historical figures about whom we have heard about. The imagination Daffyd has used is truly incredible to read about. The worlds come alive before our eyes and hook us in.

There is nothing I disliked about the novel. I thought the plot would be too hard to follow with all the characters and switches between them, but it was quite the opposite. The author did not bombard the readers with excessive information and even gave explanations for words that were new to the readers. The various historical events were not boring and had truth to them even though some parts were imaginary, as clarified by Daffyd in the preamble.

I would rate Catastrophica 4 out of 4 stars. The novel had me on the edge the whole time, and I really liked seeing the history tie up towards the end. I found only one error, but that did not cause a hindrance to my reading. I would recommend this book to young adults as some parts are not meant for teenagers. Young adults who enjoy historical fiction would find this work a good read.

Catastrophica
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
This sounds like an excellent book and I love ancient gods! I added this to my bookshelf to read it later. Thank you for this wonderful review.
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is a YA novel that combines historical fiction and scifi with mystery and suspense. Readers of the genre are going to love the engaging storyline and well-developed characters as they work alongside Jared and his father to uncover secrets of the past and learn how they connect to our world today. Thank you for the helpful review and keep up the GREAT work!! :-)
Judy46
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy46.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Alfie Thomas

Post by Judy46 »

Although I am not a fan of books that apply research but this surely is different because the topics covered are those that I have a soft spot for. I must give it a read. Great review

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”