Review of Descent of Ravens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Descent of Ravens

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Descent of Ravens" by AC Andrews.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Taking what's rightfully yours could be extremely difficult, especially if it was forcefully taken from you. But what happens when the lives of so many depend on that one particular thing. Tyr was taken from the rightful owners, but you would find out what would become of the city of Tyr.

Descent Of Ravens: Book I of Bel's War by A. C. Andrews is about the fall of the city of Tyr. The Halas, priests, and children were murdered. In one day, Tyr was brought down. It was a plan orchestrated by the archmage, Quella. The quest to take back Tyr will soon begin. Two persons who escaped from Tyr met again as they planned to take back their city. Philip, who was set free from Ereth's curse, Turi, and others will take a path to conquer the archmage and take back Tyr. Hali Riordan, the voice of Astara, will be the main instrument the goddess tends to use to win this battle.

This story spells out a lot of themes, like healing, friendship, and supernatural powers. This is an emotional story mixed with adventure. The story was very straightforward, as it was relatively easy to follow. The author did a great job in writing a story like this. I love the author's style of writing. The style he used in commencing each chapter was entirely different and unique. Also, using italics for conversations between spirits and deities made the book entirely easy to understand.

I admire the character of Turi. He is an adventurous young man who loves taking risks in getting what he wants. This attitude was shown when Turi planned to break into the prison to discover what was happening. He is usually bent on dragging issues forward, as reflected in his statement on page 64. He said, "Sometimes doing the right thing means breaking a few rules." He was a different personality entirely in the book.

One displeasing thing I found about this book was Rio and Philip's romantic life. I felt some details were unnecessary. It also somehow slowed and diverted the storyline. At this point, I almost got tired of reading the book. Apart from this, I found nothing else negative about this book.

Descent Of Ravens: Book I of Bel's War by A. C. Andrews seems to be professionally edited. Since I found a few errors while reading; they didn't distort my reading in any way; I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would love to recommend this book to those that find adventurous stories interesting. Lovers of science fiction will also enjoy this novel. The book is not suitable for children due to its explicit content.

Descent of Ravens
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

The story seems quite intriguing, and by the cover of the book it looks like a fantasy fiction genre. The reviewer has explained the story with perfection. Thankyou.
Kibabcock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibabcock.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam

Post by Kibabcock »

This sounds like a great book to read, very interesting. I am looking forward to giving this book a try. Great review!
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Just seeing the cover picture and reading the review got my harry potter nerdiness excited. I do not know if I want to read about the exhaustive romantic life of a couple in a book like this or hear about some cliché archetypical characters like an "Archmage", but somethings are just harder to escape from. I am really excited to read this and it is already next up on my reading list. Thank you for the review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging epic fantasy novel with remarkable character development and worldbuilding. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

I love the book cover designs, it helps to create a picture in my head of what to expect from the book. Turi is an interesting character, the author did a good job. Good review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”