Review of Unwinding the Serpent

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Review of Unwinding the Serpent

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unwinding the Serpent" by Robert Paul Blumenstein.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Commencing in the year 1793, Unwinding the Serpent by Robert Paul Blumenstein is a fantasy novel that takes us through a story that spans several millennia. Set in the years 1793, 1973, and 3197, we are introduced to Johnnycake, a small town in Virginia. The Cacadelfuimians or Cacatoids, a dominative alien species, have just landed on this small town. While their intentions were not known initially, the massacre cleared all doubts that the aliens did not have good intentions. It now fell upon the members of this community, led by Delmar Witcher Hannamyer, to protect their homes while preventing bad events that could occur in future years. How can this small town defend itself against an enemy with weapons that are more advanced than anything they have ever seen?

The author expertly explores elements of time travel and past-life regression, as specific humans from the future utilize these means in helping the situation. Nevertheless, they are up against a formidable force in the Cacatoids, who are also operating in all these different timelines to achieve their aim of domination over Earth. I thoroughly enjoyed the suspense that came with finding out who would triumph in their quests, especially with how vital success over the aliens was to humans' survival throughout the years.

I also have to commend the author for reaching far beyond anything I could have imagined concerning the elements he explored in this story. He also managed to incorporate genetic engineering while I followed Richard, a reincarnation of one of the characters from the past and a geneticist who was not only critical to the humans' mission against the aliens but also instrumental in trying to help humans correct genetic defects that caused diseases.

Furthermore, he did well to accurately capture the setting and the style of dialogue in each year the story took place, with his depiction of the year 3197 piquing my interest the most, as I encountered a world with the absence of belief in the existence of God, a reduced population due to humans' inability to procreate, and uninhabited continents. Reading through the book was a journey of questions about this complex world the author has created. However, I am pleased to say that my questions were duly answered by the end of the book, and there were no loose ends. As the story is told in three parts, with each year narrated per part, it can get a bit confusing for readers to make sense of certain parts of the story, and this is what I dislike the most about the book, but it all adds up in the end. For example, I was quite confused seeing a character that was killed in 1793 still alive in both 1973 and 3197, but when I got to understand that the future events occurred before the battle against the aliens in the past, everything was clear, so the book requires patience while reading.

Also, the novel's exceptional editing is noteworthy. Not finding any errors while reading was impressive, especially when considering that this was not a short read. There is no reason for me to reduce the rating of this engaging and unique fantasy novel. Therefore, I rate Unwinding the Serpent four out of four stars. Mature readers who enjoy fantasy stories and books exploring past-life regression will enjoy this book, and I would recommend it to them.

Unwinding the Serpent
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

I always love books that future paranormal creature like aliens. And with the scientific theme of this book, my interest is raised. I love reading this review. thanks for giving reading guild.
Signature of Grace.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

Great fantasy novel that addresses the regression of the past life nicely. I love the storyline. Great review.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

This book sounds fascinating - like one that is full of suspense. Definitely reading it soon. Thanks for this amazing review.
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Stories about dominating earth and time travel are usually separate but an intertwined one is definitely worth the attention. I am curious to see how this ends. Thank you for your review!
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Fascinating! the storyline of aliens invading earth has spanned the millennia in our imaginations but one looped in with time travel? Now, that is brilliant. I cannot wait to read this book to come to this "proverbial juncture" you got to after reading the book. Thank you for your review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging science fiction novel that spans a long time from the past to the quite bleak future mixed with elements such as an alien presence and life regression. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

I've read a lot of fantasy book that involved aliens and I'm sure this one would be a great read. Thanks for your review.
Hussein21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hussein21.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Hussein21 »

I am curious to find out how a small town can prevent aliens equipped with advanced technologies from invading their town. Thanks for the review
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

This book is a good representation of alien invasion. There are no much survivors in the alien's massacre, and I would love to know if the humans were able to claim their town from the aliens. Thanks for your review.
Rita Nuncia
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-nuncia.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Rita Nuncia »

A very fascinating book to read. I really want to know who won although I am #teamhumans. Anyways thanks for this review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”