Review of The Paths of Cormanor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of The Paths of Cormanor

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Paths of Cormanor" by Jim Breyfogle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cormanor's women have soared lofty skies and plunged deep into the lake in their cormorant form, but wisdom has always cautioned them to beware of the Grimly. When Prince Kellen, the seventh son of the king, seeks an audience with the reclusive women, he never expected to become a target of the evil Elder beast from legends of old. But when Kellen helps the women avoid a tragedy, his soul is inextricably connected to Amara, the youngest of the cormorants. To unburden the beautiful woman who saved his life, he must go on a quest to retrieve the part of his soul that resides in Amara.

As Amara awaits his return, she finds herself in a tangled web of events that may separate her from Kellen forever. Can the prince complete his journey in time to prevent the terrible turn of events that have unfolded in his absence? Read The Paths of Cormanor by Jim Breyfogle to find out.

There were so many aspects of this spectacular book that I loved that it's challenging to select a favorite. Breyfogle quickly immerses readers in a well-developed world intricately woven with action, adventure, and Norse Mythology. I was fascinated with the author's engaging approach to writing fantasy. Each chapter was told from a different character's perspective while the plot followed the paths of Prince Kellen and Amara. The author chose the perfect friend or foe for each segment of the book, and I loved how these chapters read like short stories yet cohesively told a full-length tale. The author also did an excellent job weaving a narrative that evoked strong emotions and made it easy for me to remain glued to the pages. There was never a dull moment, and I appreciated the variety of perspectives: both ally and enemy to the protagonists.

The Paths of Cormanor had an epic quality to the story that reminded me of the legend of Beowulf. Breyfogle did not shy away from the tragedy and brief violence that brought the pains experienced by the characters vividly to the forefront of each page. He also wove in the threads of a complicated romance that had me cheering for the protagonists to find their happy endings. I loved watching Kellen's growth along his path as he encountered various trials that helped him become a man. Yet, I equally adored Amara and the strength she gathered as her family rallied to deal with the consequences of her actions in the cave of the Grimly. One thing led to another to create an intriguing story with a satisfying ending. The author even pushed beyond the conclusion to leave readers a short section of prose poetry and much to ponder.

The story itself was well written, and I noticed only one minor proofreading error throughout the book. I found nothing that I disliked about the novel. Therefore, I gladly give The Paths of Cormanor four out of four stars.

I'd highly recommend this book to those interested in Norse mythology and epic fantasy quests. While there were a few scenes of violence and a few instances of mild swearing, the content was appropriate for mature teens and adult readers. I look forward to reading more from this author in the future, and I hope he writes another fantastic novel soon!

The Paths of Cormanor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Arunima Halder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arunima-halder.html
Latest Review: Fast Starting a Career of Consequence: Workbook by Fred Sievert

Post by Arunima Halder »

This is such a wonderful, informative and captivating review that this compels me to read the book. It makes my blood rush to find out that it has some similarity with Beowulf. I'll definitely try it.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

Fantasy books are always my choice, and I'd be getting this soon. Thanks for this great review.
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Thank you or your review. Jim's story is very reminiscent of the stories of the female Amazonian warriors when the god Aries came upon their shores. I am curious to explore the worldbuilding and plot of the story that is, Cormanor.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging epic fantasy novel with a well-constructed storyline made of various parts forming a bigger picture. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

Kellen's journey would definitely be a eye-opening for him. I would love to read this book. Good review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”