Review of When the Children Come

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Review of When the Children Come

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When the Children Come" by Barry Kirwan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nathan is in the middle of a devastating storm. An alien race makes capital out of humanity’s affinity for war and self-destruction; it makes them annihilate their children and anyone who resists its plan. Internet is down, and there is no way to communicate with others easily. Everything the human race has worked hard to build and safeguard goes down the drain in one night. As always, it seems a common, worldwide threat unites people, as the most unlikely groups combine forces. What is the goal of turning parents against their children? Why Earth? What is the probability of a ragtag army and a few children resisting aliens possessing advanced technology? When the Children Come, the first book in the Children of the Eye, offers answers to these questions and more.

I liked how the story began. The reader is thrown into the midst of chaos, and the puzzles form a perfect picture with time. I loved this method as it made me love the book from the first page, as questions kept coming to my mind, and I had to read on to find answers. Barry Kirwan knows how to balance fiction and nonfiction, dialogue and action, and humor and angst. Several issues, including why human beings are ever waging battles, religion, the future of the world, and extraterrestrials, provoke the reader to think and rethink. The question is not whether there is hope, but what it takes to keep it alive and for how long.

The characters in this book are likable, possessing both strengths and flaws in equal measure. The breakdown of social structures creates a disturbance that shifts everything. Nathan is thrown into uncharted territory when he is made to love and protect those he has never wanted. Childhood is snatched from the kids before they even savor its joys. The existing structures and systems work against their creators. These are the prevailing conditions in the world, and there is no escape from this reality.

I like exploring the fantasy worlds, and experiencing the imaginations of the human mind. It becomes more enthralling when it constantly borders the real and the imagined, the possible and the impossible; it creates a tightrope walk whereby you are forced to visit each world and ponder its implications on the other. Occasionally, the author alludes to a futuristic world, for instance, where children are bred and educated by computers and released to the general population upon maturity, which forces one to think about its possibility.

The editing of the book was good, and it employed an easy-to-understand language. I rate it four out of four stars. I would have loved to see things from the invaders' perspective, but the point of view focused primarily on the humans. The desire to view the events from their perspective kept me turning page after page, which, eventually, is a good thing. Every fan of science fiction will enjoy reading this enthralling novel. However, readers should be aware the book contains cuss words.

When the Children Come
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

It seems like a pretty good book with alien invasion and stuff, and I personally haven't read anything like this yet so maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks for the review.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

The book really sounds thrilling. I thought would enjoy the scientific theme of this book. Thanks for sharing this review
Signature of Grace.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

The book really sounds thrilling. I thought I should enjoy the scientific theme of this book. Thanks for sharing this review
Signature of Grace.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the characters have both strengths and weaknesses, which contributes to realism. Thanks for the good review.
David Iba
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by David Iba »

This story sound interesting because the young one give strength to the weak an also give refresh energy.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I've only read one sci-fi book that dealt with parents being turned on their children. And I've read a LOT of sci-fi. This makes the plot a unique one, at least to me. As the book falls into one of my favorite genres (post-apocalyptic), I'll be putting it on my reading list. Thanks for the recommendation!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

I have read too many books and watched too many movies cast in this mold. While it might be too soon to judge the trajectory of this book, I am curious to see how it goes.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel that puts an interesting twist to a classic science fiction theme. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The novel has a grilling twists within, I love the plot arrangement. I would love to read the book. Thanks for your review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

From the review, this book is an interesting work of fiction. There's a lot things that has been laced together by the author in this book. I think this book would be a good read for me. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”