Review of Pride of Alar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Voices of the Basque Signet by GalaGabirondo

Review of Pride of Alar

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pride of Alar" by Nolan Arthur Webber.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Devin is in a world of pain. He is yet to recover from the shocking accident that claimed the life of his big brother, Jacob. He desperately clings on to any memory of him available if it aids in alleviating that feeling of loss. His parents are not faring any better. They bicker and constantly argue such that the once loving home is anything but loving. Having to contend with the loss of his brother is only compounded by the attention he gets from the undesirables at school. Things do not look good for Devin until he stumbles on a box in his parents' basement. His curiosity will take him to places he has only seen in dreams.

Pride of Alar is a beautifully crafted fantasy novel by Nolan Arthur Webber. Replete with Norse mythology and the fabled creatures associated with that realm, it encapsulates the reader in a way many books may not.

I am particularly impressed with the storyline. It starts on a deceptively dull note, but the adventure creeps up on you like a stalking cat. It does have its fair share of twists. But I must admit, the deeper you are drawn into the story, the harder it is to put down the book. The characters are creatively crafted, with attention paid to even the minutest detail. The battle scenes are described explicitly.

However, I am somewhat disappointed that more effort is not put into explaining the background behind several vital points in the story. There is no explicit mention of the origins of the war between Korred and Alfar or the true story behind the origins of the Dock-Alfar. One can only imagine how frustrating it is to understand certain vital characters' motivations without this information.

Science fiction and fantasy buffs will love this book. The level of imaginative creativity within this book is beyond impressive. Despite the graphic details surrounding the battles, I believe the tales of kings, castles, dragons, and magic will appeal to young readers.

There are so many things to like about Pride of Alar. From the very first page, it keeps a reader captivated and keen on finding out how it all ends. The romance is so touching that there is no way a reader will not sympathize with the moral crossroads our main characters have to face. The aura of duty, devotion, and the determination to succeed constantly ring through the pages. Nolan Arthur Webber's work may have its flaws but remains a fantastic book. Considering my concern and the plethora of errors, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Pride of Alar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

The plot of the story seems quite interesting and I'm curious to know what will happen next to Devin, what's inside the box, and follow his story. Thanks for the review.
Akaraiwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akaraiwe.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Post by Akaraiwe »

I love this review but I cannot see the author name. It seems missing.
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

While books about the loss of a loved one tend to bring out the worst in me, I am curious to see how Devon maneuvers the situations in his life.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

While it is sad how the family is struggling to cope with the loss of Jacob, the book sounds like it has a lot of mystery. I'm tempted to read i. Thanks for the informative review.
Anthony Emeka
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anthony Emeka »

The concept of the author is quite interesting, what happened to Devin is very unfortunate but the content of the box has the final say, the book has a lot of hidden mystery and will be full of lecture, thanks for the review
Lordarthur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lordarthur.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by Lordarthur »

I'm particularly thrilled when I see amazing concepts in any literary work. I hope this would be worth my time.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: In the Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 422
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by NetMassimo »

I wonder if there's a sequel offering more information about the background story. Despite that limit, it seems like an engaging novel, so I hope the author does another round of proofreading to correct the errors. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

Wonderful storyline. The author did a good job in the presentation of the book, it's captivating. Thanks for your review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

Pride of Alar delves into the Devin who has just lost his brother. The death of his brother causes things to change around him until he discovers something intriguing. I would love to read this book. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”