Review of The Great Migration

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of The Great Migration

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Great Migration" by Steve Ramirez.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Luta was the lead Zuni guide for his team as they went on an adventure through the Thunder Valley for the great migration. After harrowing encounters with the barong and brontothere, they made it back to Hawikah village with most of their team members. The team, consisting of Luta, Bellona, and others, made their way to the country's capital, Crystal City, for the Cabochon festival. Before then, they received honors for their adventure. They were blissfully unaware that their fate may have been sealed, as the country may have to battle an old enemy from a hundred and fifty years before.

Steve Ramirez, in The Great Migration, presented a complex plot with robust storytelling. The plot was richly imaginative and reeked of extreme dedication on the author's part. He created entirely new worlds, cities, languages, and religions with peculiar cultures. These creations were so well developed that they were easy to believe; it was indeed commendable.

One could detect some familiar religious concepts from the author's created religious sects. For instance, Ramirez's idea of 'ascendance' could have been taken from the idea of transition to eternal life in Christianity. Although his representation of religion was not of any known religious group, he still captured the religious rivalry and discrimination in our modern world. With his creative delineations of religion (the True, the Chosen, and the Faithful), readers would be confronted with the unsavory reality of faith and belief.

There was no character shortage in this book, as almost every chapter introduced a new set, which was intricately connected to the central plot. With each set came a different aspect of the story. Steve effectively used his characters to reveal major background stories for his narrative. For instance, through Luta, I understood more about their country's enemy. The characters had 'character.' They formed one of the most intriguing features of The Great Migration.

To say this book was an exciting read would be an understatement. It seemed like Ramirez took characteristic features from usual sci-fi narratives, tweaked, repackaged, and merged them into this masterpiece. The Great Migration could easily be a sensational sci-fi television series. The characters, layout, imagery, action, and plot development would sustain conversion to the big screen. If you ever watched a zombie movie, you would have added imagery of the frantic action in some parts of the book. The thrill and danger the author reproduced were very real, and readers may feel their hearts pound in tune with the characters' ricocheting fear.

In all of the action and thrill, readers would also find life-encouraging tips from this book. One of the characters, Bellona Stanick, gave readers a powerful nugget to meditate on: "...all living things suffer and that we should not allow the pain of life to make us unkind."

This book was a modern-day alien invasion cum tweaked zombie incursion narrative, where courage and strength were put to the test. There wasn't a thing I didn't like about The Great Migration. Additionally, the editors did exceptional work, as I couldn't find a single error. I'd recommend this book to all science fiction lovers; they would not want to miss out on this sensation. Finally, I'd rate this sensational narrative four out of four stars.

The Great Migration
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Katarina Radovcic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katarina-radovcic.html
Latest Review: Scorn of Secrets by B. Truly

Post by Katarina Radovcic »

Every sentence of this review convinced me to read the book. It sounds like it would be a lot of fun!
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

The book does sound very intriguing and got some religious facets to ponder on. Welldone, thanks for the recommendations.
Signature of Grace.
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I loved this review, and I am sure I will love this book! Thank you :D
Shivansh_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Shivansh_Reviews »

This seems like a book I'd love to add to my shelf. Thanks for the amazing review.
kittykat6132
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittykat6132.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by kittykat6132 »

This is such a detailed review, however I'll pass on this one.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

The author put a lot of work into this novel. The plot has intrigued me so now ill have to give it a read. Nicely done review.
Luchris_klaus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-klaus.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Luchris_klaus »

This is a nice piece of adventure story. Luta is an interesting character and the plot of the book is awesome. Thanks for your review.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

Luta's character is quite intriguing. The book is filled with adventures and challenges, I would love to read the book. Thanks for your review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel with an engaging plot that also offers some food for thought about important issues. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. The summary didn't state clearly, but I guess Luta's team was attacked by aliens and zombies?
Nofia123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nofia123 »

It's amazing story ♥️
If I got a chance to live in that place I loved to and i love fightings too
Kelsey Roy
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Not What Meets the Eye by Matrika Hay

Post by Kelsey Roy »

I honestly was thoroughly convinced to read this book from this review. It sounds like the author put a ton of work into making fantasy sound believable and relatable. It’s not often that I am enticed to read a fantasy/science fiction novel, so well done on your review!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

A high fantasy novel with a lot of characters doesn't sound like a book for me and addition of aliens in the storyline seals that decision. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I am not a sci-fi fan. I have difficulty keeping up with all the world-building and different characters in any sci-fi book, but this one sounds like the story is very deep, and as you said complex so I will have to pass on this one! Thanks for the great review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”