Review of The Great Migration

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat by Richard Trebilcock

Re: Review of The Great Migration

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

This is impressive. Steve Ramirez has done well for himself with this successful series. The creativity in crafting the plot, characters, and religious groups are commendable. I look forward to reading this novel.
Omobolanle Savage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

The intricate world-building in the review is fascinating. The author's dedication to creating new worlds, languages, and cultures is commendable, and it sparks my curiosity. I love immersive storytelling, and this review promises a richly imaginative experience.
Alexander Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-victoria.html
Latest Review: Affirm The Word by J. Marie Jones

Post by Alexander Victoria »

The journey of Luta, Bellona, and their team to Crystal City for the Cabochon festival is marked by honors, but an ominous undercurrent suggests that their past adventure may have unforeseen consequences, setting the stage for a looming conflict.
Somman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Somman »

Some people are not a fan of reading robust stories with religious rivalry and discrimination and may find it difficult to read the book
Jennreinke
Currently Reading:

Post by Jennreinke »

Honestly not sure if I will like this or not but worth a read. The intricacies of issues between religions could be interesting or merely upsetting but we shall see!
ken4512
Favorite Book: Killers of the Flower Moon
Currently Reading: The Adnentures of Amina al-Sirafi
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ken4512.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by ken4512 »

Thank you for your review of The Great Migration by Steve Ramirez. While I enjoy reading sci-fi & fantasy stories, I'll pass on this novel and wait until the next book in the planned series appears. It sounds too much like a prequel or outline with different characters in every chapter.
Nikhila Kulkarni
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The DrugTech Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikhila-kulkarni.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nikhila Kulkarni »

Your review has pushed me to read this book. I am a sci-fi fan and love to get my hands on amazing narratives. I am taking your recommendation and going in!
Kaitlin Bryant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-bryant.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Kaitlin Bryant »

Your review made this book sound so interesting, that I may have to pick it up! Thank you for such an elaborate and well-written review!
Candy Hensley
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-candy-hensley.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 36
2024 Goal Completion: 11%

Post by Candy Hensley »

I really appreciated the review for this book. I am enjoying it so far & I look forward to where the story leads and the characters end up.
BOOKNERD254
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booknerd254.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson

Post by BOOKNERD254 »

Deep Sci-fi themes. The 'ascendance' aspect seems like it's from the TV series "The 100". Anyway, the book could make a great TV series. Would love to watch it if it did come to life in Hollywood. Lovely review.
Takin Up Space
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 11
2024 Reading Goal: 36
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Takin Up Space »

Well, I guess I'm reading the book. This will be my first. Adventurous review, Nzube. I'm inspired and deeply humbled to be in this 'reading circle' with you.
BSM02
2024 Reading Goal: 300
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by BSM02 »

One of the things I love about the book is how it challenges the reader to think about their own courage and strength. The book shows how even the most difficult circumstances can bring out the best in people. The characters in the book are faced with impossible odds, and yet they manage to find ways to overcome them. It's a great reminder that we are all capable of more than we realize.

It really a wonderful and amazing book to read
samonology
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samonology.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by samonology »

This book has a cool story and makes you think about important stuff. Thanks for the awesome review!
Javeria Abu Sufyan
Currently Reading: The Half Book
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Javeria Abu Sufyan »

Steve Remirez's "The Great Migration" provides a compelling exploration of one of the most significant demographic shifts in American history. Through meticulous research and engaging storytelling, Remirez vividly captures the complexities and impact of the mass movement of African Americans from the rural South to the urban North during the early to mid-20th century.

One of the strengths of Remirez's work is his ability to contextualize the Great Migration within the broader social, economic, and political landscape of the time. He skillfully examines the push factors driving African Americans to leave the Jim Crow South, such as economic disenfranchisement, racial violence, and lack of educational opportunities, while also highlighting the pull factors drawing them to cities like Chicago, New York, and Detroit, including the promise of better jobs and greater freedom.

Furthermore, Remirez delves into the multifaceted experiences of migrants upon their arrival in northern cities, exploring both the opportunities and challenges they faced in their new urban environments. He deftly navigates topics such as housing discrimination, labor exploitation, and the formation of vibrant cultural communities, providing a nuanced understanding of the complexities of urban life for African Americans during this period.

However, while Remirez's research is comprehensive and his storytelling engaging, "The Great Migration" occasionally lacks depth in its analysis of certain aspects of the phenomenon. For instance, while he acknowledges the role of gender dynamics in shaping migrants' experiences, the book could benefit from a more thorough examination of how gender intersected with race and class to influence individuals' opportunities and challenges in their new environments.

Overall, "The Great Migration" is a valuable contribution to the literature on African American history, offering readers a rich and nuanced understanding of this pivotal moment in American society. While it may occasionally fall short in its analysis, its compelling narrative and thorough research make it a worthy addition to any scholar or enthusiast's bookshelf.
Javeria Abu Sufyan
Currently Reading: The Half Book
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Javeria Abu Sufyan »

Steve Remirez's "The Great Migration" provides a compelling exploration of one of the most significant demographic shifts in American history. Through meticulous research and engaging storytelling, Remirez vividly captures the complexities and impact of the mass movement of African Americans from the rural South to the urban North during the early to mid-20th century.

One of the strengths of Remirez's work is his ability to contextualize the Great Migration within the broader social, economic, and political landscape of the time. He skillfully examines the push factors driving African Americans to leave the Jim Crow South, such as economic disenfranchisement, racial violence, and lack of educational opportunities, while also highlighting the pull factors drawing them to cities like Chicago, New York, and Detroit, including the promise of better jobs and greater freedom.

Furthermore, Remirez delves into the multifaceted experiences of migrants upon their arrival in northern cities, exploring both the opportunities and challenges they faced in their new urban environments. He deftly navigates topics such as housing discrimination, labor exploitation, and the formation of vibrant cultural communities, providing a nuanced understanding of the complexities of urban life for African Americans during this period.

However, while Remirez's research is comprehensive and his storytelling engaging, "The Great Migration" occasionally lacks depth in its analysis of certain aspects of the phenomenon. For instance, while he acknowledges the role of gender dynamics in shaping migrants' experiences, the book could benefit from a more thorough examination of how gender intersected with race and class to influence individuals' opportunities and challenges in their new environments.

Overall, "The Great Migration" is a valuable contribution to the literature on African American history, offering readers a rich and nuanced understanding of this pivotal moment in American society. While it may occasionally fall short in its analysis, its compelling narrative and thorough research make it a worthy addition to any scholar or enthusiast's bookshelf.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”