Review of George

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Review of George

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "George" by James H Russell.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

George was written by James H. Russell. After James heard Richard Grayson's speech about Lake Turkana during a prize-giving ceremony, James ignited the urge to take his family on vacation to Nairobi. This was where Sarah found George in a cave. After several years, robots seem to have taken charge of most human activities. But humans are in control of them. There seems to be a foreseen catastrophe. They were to destroy the asteroid. A launchpad would take three of the projects to solve this problem. But George seems to be the end of this human problem. Grab a copy of this book as you take a ride to this adventurous and intriguing story.

Following the storyline was like an adventure for me. I found myself glued to the book to the end. Lake Turkana was surely a place I would like to visit. It was an example of an intriguing part of the book. Reading the story aroused new ideas in me about taking risks. James was an idealist. His nature wouldn't allow him to avoid taking some bold steps to get what he wanted. His curiosity makes this book enjoyable to read. For instance, breaking into Dr. Richard Grayson's house was an exact scenario of his impetuousness and anxiousness to get the details of Grayson's recent fax messages. I also like that part of this book about Sue and Mark. They introduced warmth and romance in the book. Without this couple, the second part of this book wouldn't have been worth my reading. These are particularly the parts I liked about the book.

As much as I enjoyed this book, some negative things disturbed my reading. There were many unnecessary details, especially where James talked about how he bought his wife a birthday gift and how she felt. He further explained how she opened the gift and their time together. Another part was when George was found in the cave. The author spent more time than necessary explaining the features of George. I found these unnecessary details insignificant. They did not contribute to the plot of the book.

In chapter nine, some sentences were underlined. I don't know the reason for this. Apart from that, the spacing between chapters was inappropriate. I noticed how each chapter seems to be interfering with another chapter. For the purpose of clarity, the headings of chapters should have begun on fresh pages. I didn't appreciate this part of the book. In other words, this is the part I disliked most.

This book deserves a rating of 2 out of 4 stars due to the above issues. I wasn't pleased with the style of formatting used in the book. Considering the worth and content of this book, I think it wasn't well presented. It lacked proper sequential arrangement and alignment. It seems not professionally edited. I found both spelling and grammatical errors. I will still recommend this book to lovers of science fiction, adventure, and mystery.

George
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

Thank you for your honest review.
The story does not seem that interesting to me so will pass.
Lunareader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunareader.html
Latest Review: B-Side by Janis Jones

Post by Lunareader »

I love this adventure book since it speaks of a place I've heard about. It is, however, unfortunate that the book contains grammatical errors and some of the content isn't well edited. I will read it to get a better view. Thanks for the detailed summary.
Latest Review: B-Side by Janis Jones
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

Science fiction isn't my favourite genre. I'll pass on this one. Great review by the way.
Shivansh_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Shivansh_Reviews »

The review gave me a good insight on the book and I can say I won't be reading this book. Thanks for the review though.
Luchris_klaus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-klaus.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Luchris_klaus »

This book is an interesting sci-fi novel and I would love to read it. Sue and Mark are intriguing characters. Thanks for your review.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

Sue and Mark are interesting characters and the book involves a thrilling adventure, nice plot. Thanks for your review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

The novel seems to contain some interesting elements but the errors, formatting problems, and the excessive details can be a distraction, so I hope the author does more editing to "clean" it up. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

I think this book would be a good read for me. This book delves into the life of James and his wife. There is a lot happening in their city and I would love to know if they survived it. Thanks for your review

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”